This summer was a whirlwind of activity for me. I traveled, traveled and
then traveled some more. I seem to need a vacation from my vacation. Not
all was play, though. I needed one more class to graduate with my MLS and
that class had to be the study abroad class. The stars just aligned so
that I could attend that class. It was fantastic. Not only did I meet and
make wonderful friends, but I also learned a lot. We spent one week in NYC
living on Columbia University dorms and visited public and school
librarian who have done innovative things in the field. We, of course, did
all the touristy things as well, but the highlight had to be going to the
Bank Street College and visiting with Lisa Von Drasek. She was warm and
inviting and answered so many of our questions.

Our next leg of the trip was to spend a week in Washington D.C. There we
lived in the American University dorms and took the Metro everywhere. We
met with some librarians and the Library of Congress we gave us some great
insight. We also got to do a lot of touristy things also. See the
monuments, visit the capital, meet our senator, and tour the Library of
Congress. The highlight had to be attending ALA!! That was a first for me.
I had attended TLA, here in Texas, and thought that was awesome, but ALA
just blew me away!! I met so many great authors and they were SO nice.

I then had my “vacation” time in Las Vegas, helped a sister move to Ohio,
and finally graduated in the beginning of August. Whew!

Rebecca Forward
Intermediate and Elementary Librarian
Rio Grande Valley, TX
Rgf001@shsu.edu