I have visited the home and/or home territory of many authors in the U.S.
and the U.K., but visiting Red Cloud, Nebraska, where Willa Cather spent her
youth stands as out as my most empathic literary experience.  The characters
and settings of her novels and stories grew out of the people and places
which she knew throughout her formative years.  Sites right in Red Cloud
include the house where she lived, the Farmer’s and Merchant’s Bank
(Garber’s bank) , the St. Juliana Catholic Church, the Grace Episcopal
Church, and the Burlington and Missouri Railroad Depot  all of which figure
prominently in such well-known novels and stories as My Antonia, A Lost
Lady, “Neighbor Rosicky,” etc.  A self-driving tour map is available for
visitors to follow outside the town to explore landscapes and landmarks such
as the farmhouses, dugouts, graves, homesteads, etc. of early settlers and
which appear over and over in Cather’s writings, most especially My Antonia.

A “must stop” is the Willa Cather Memorial Prairie, more than six hundred
acres of virgin Nebraska prairie land.  I hope that you too get to enjoy a
few minutes as the solitary visitor standing in the tall grass listening to
it whisper around you as an accompaniment to the songs of birds and insects.

Mary Ellen Scribner
Head/Secondary Librarian
Lincoln Community School
c/o American Embassy Box 194