That issue came up today with primary students, and often does.  Today it
was a small cartoon drawing of Adam and Eve who covered important parts with
their hands.  I just calmly explained who they were; that they were the
first man and woman who never had even heard of clothes.  I said it was not
a nasty thing and I expected it to be handled with maturity.  They calmed
down and that was the end of the fuss.  I share Bill and Pete with them and
No David and they love the surprise of it.  We all just laugh.  Sometimes
they share a story of how a sibling did the same thing.  I usually have to
talk at least once a year to older students how the early Greek and Romans
(and artists) felt bodies were beautiful and were proud of them.  I mention
how atheletes often performed in the nude back then.  I mention how I expect
them to handle this with maturity.  I mention to the older students that
different cultures have different feelings about nudity.  We follow the
customs of our culture.  It is not too often that I must take a book away
from  students because they can't calm down.  They might still look, as they
are naturally curious, but they are ok.

Lorraine Calabrese
Elementary Librarian
Avalon Elementary School