That was a good idea noting that the child might  not be ready for the book.
  Depending on the book, I flip through the pages of said books with nude pics, and
if it's only 1 or 2 pages, I tear the pages out.  No one has yet said anything
about that.
  Marie Bernard, Teacher Librarian
  Weld Central HS
  Keenesburg, CO 80643
  mariebernard@re3j.com

Jennifer GARCIA <garciaj@UCISD.NET> wrote:
  What a timely email! Just yesterday we were processing our new books
and discovered one that had naked ladies (cartoon figures but naked none
the less). Now at junior high this will make it the most popular book
we have but will cause disturbing giggling everywhere the book goes. We
got a bit giggly ourselves and came up with some suggestions. 1. Cut
out material to clothe the figures and call it a "Touch and Feel" book.
2. Cut out material but only glue the top down...now it is a "Lift and
See" book. There were others but those were the favorites. Currently
the book is in my office and the debate rages on.

Jennifer Garcia, Librarian
Uvalde Junior High School
P.O. Box 1909
Uvalde, TX 78802
(830)591-2980
garciaj@ucisd.net

>>> janet perry
9/7/2007 7:42 AM >>>
Hi, guess I'm feeling chatty today.

Many, many years ago I implemented what I will call the "Bob Smith"
rule. I
am a K-12 libraian, and
have magazines such as Seventeen, Cosmo Girl, etc. Well, "Bob" liked
look at those magazines and laugh and giggle at the underwear ads. I
didn't
think it was fair to pull the magazines just because of "Bob's"
immaturity.
So I made a rule. The high school magazines are for those who can use
them
in the way they are intended. If you cannot use them in a mature
manner, you
will be restricted to the grade school magazines (Zoobooks, Ranger
Rick,
etc.) This rule has served me well over the years. Perhaps something
like
that would work with certain books. It just doesn't seem fair to me to

limit use by kids who can handle things because of a few who can't.

Also, while I am guilty of "adding" clothing to some characers myself,
don't necessarily feel good about it. In doing so I try to decide
whether
the book is more important on the shelf or challenged and off it. Not
an
easy call. You just have to decide which battles you are willing to
fight.

Janet Perry, Prek-12 Librarian
Cerro Gordo CUSD 100, Cerro Gordo, IL
perrybros@hotmail.com

Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoft* Office
Live!
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/

In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.
* EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm ( http://lm/ )-net.info/

In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.

 Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.