Dear LM_Netters:

Thanks to everyone who suggested books about readers and reading. I
have deleted the names and eliminated the duplicates for faster
reading. Because some of the suggestions don’t have authors, I have
chosen to arrange all of the books by title.

Alistair in outer space by Sadler

Johnston, Tony. Amber on the Mountain. Dial, 1994.

Andy and the lion by Daugherty

Hoban, Lillian. Arthur's Prize Reader. Harper & Row, [1984].

Arthur's Reading race by Marc Brown

*Polacco, Patricia. Aunt Chip and the great Triple Creek dam affair. New

York: Philomel Books, [1996].

Note: Aunt Chip saves the town of Triple Creek, where everyone has

forgotten how to read because of the invasion of television.

Beatrice doesn't want to by Numeroff

Polacco, Patricia. The bee tree. New York: PaperStar/Putnam & Grosset

Group, [1998, 1993].

Bertram, Debbie. The Best Time to Read. Random, 2005.

Stadler, Alexander. Beverly Billingsly Borrows a Book. Harcourt, 2002.

Bookstore Mouse_ by Peggy Christian. It's a great story of how we
learn to read told through a boy and a dragon. There are a few great
drawing of the dragon in it.

The Boy Who Loved eating Books

Pak, Soyung and Hartung, Susan Kathleen. Dear Juno. New York: Puffin,

[2001,1999].

Note: Although Juno, a Korean American boy, cannot read the letter he

receives from his grandmother in Seoul, he understands what it means

from the photograph and dried flower that are enclosed and decides to

send a similar letter back to her.

Delilah D. at the Library by Jeanne Willis

Drop everything, it's D.E.A.R. by McGovern, Petunia by DuVoisin,

Brown, Marc. D. W.'s Library Card. Little Brown, 2001.

McPhail, David A. Edward and the pirates. Boston: Little, Brown, [1997].

Edward in the Jungle

McKissack, Patricia. Goin' Someplace Special. Atheneum, 2001.

Good Books, Good Times (poetry) by Hopkins

Bare, Colleen Stanley. Guinea pigs don't read books. New York: Putnam,

[1989,1985].

Note: Points out that though guinea pigs don't read books or play

checkers, they make good friends and are gentle and lovable.

Crimi, Carolyn and Manders, John. Henry & the Buccaneer Bunnies. 1st

ed. Cambridge, Mass: Candlewick Press, [2005].

Meddaugh, Susan. Hog-eye. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, [1995].

Heide, Florence Parry and GrandPre, Mary. The House of Wisdom. 1st ed.

New York: DK Publishing, [1999].

Seuss. I can read with my eyes shut. New York: Beginner Books/Random,
[1978].

Marshall, Rita and Delessert, Etienne. I hate to read! Mankato, MN:

Creative Editions, [1992].

Note: As a third-grader who hates to read unwillingly looks at a book,

the characters come alive and interest him so much that he really begins

to care about them, and begins turning the pages.

I took my frog to the library by Eric Kimmel

The Incredible Book Eating Boy by Oliver Jeffers.

Thaler, Mike. The Librarian from the Black Lagoon. Scholastic, 1997.

Stewart, Sarah. The Library. Farrar Strauss Giroux, 1995.

Williams, Suzanne. Library Lil. Dial, 1997.

Library Lion by Michelle Knudson

Deedy, Carmen Agra and White, Michael P. The library dragon. Atlanta:

Peachtree, [1994]

Max's Words by Kate Banks

Mike's House by Sauer

Miss Malarkey will leave no reader behind

Bradby, Marie. More than Anything Else. Orchard, 1995.

Recorvits, Helen. My Name is Yoon. Frances Foster, 2002.

Johnson, Dolores. Papa's Stories. New York: Macmillan, [1994].

Note: Kari loves to have her father read to her, until she discovers

that he cannot read and is making the stories up.

Rylant, Cynthia and Teague, Mark. Poppleton. New York: Blue Sky

Press/Scholastic, [1997].

The Problem With Pulcifer (Paperback)  by Florence Parry Heide
(Author), Judy Glasser (Illustrator)

Hip, contemporary-looking black-and-white drawings complement this
wry cautionary tale of a boy who insists upon reading instead of
bettering himself by watching TV. Ages 7-up.

Read Anything Good Lately (can't remember author)

Reading makes you feel good by Todd Parr

Miller, William. Richard Wright and the Library Card. Lee & Low, 1997.

McPhail, David. Santa's book of names. Boston: Little, Brown, [1993].

Ernst, Lisa Campbell. Stella Louella's Runaway Book.  Simon & Schuster,

1998.

Haseley, Dennis and LaMarche, Jim. A story for bear. San Diego: Silver

Whistle/Harcourt, [2002].

Take Care, Good Knight by Shelley Moore Thomas.

The tale of Thomas Mead by Hutchins,

Tell me some more by Bonsall, ,

Polacco, Patricia. Thank you, Mr. Falker. New York: Philomel, [1998].

Note: At first, Trisha loves school, but her difficulty learning to read

makes her feel dumb, until, in the fifth grade, a new teacher helps her

understand and overcome her problem.

Giff, Patricia Reilly and Natti, Susanna. Today was a terrible day.

1st ed. New York: Viking Press, [1980

Mora, Pat. Tomás and the Library Lady. Random House, 1997.

Miller, Sara Swan and Kelley, True. Three Stories you can read your dog.

Boston: Hougton Mifflin, [1995].

Note: Stories addressed to dogs and written from a dog's point of view,

    featuring such topics as a burglar, bones, and running free.

Bunting, Eve and Carrick, Donald. The Wednesday surprise. New York:

Clarion, [1989].

Cohen, Miriam and Hoban, Lillian. When will I read? New York:

Greenwillow Books, [1977].

Wild about Books by Judy Sierra and illustrated by Marc Brown

Note all the illustrations. The book titles tie to the animals'
characteristics. Some are plays on words of famous titles.

Will You Read to Me? by Denys Cazet.

*Bloom, Becky and Biet, Pascal. Wolf! 1st American ed. New York: Orchard

Books,[1999].

Note: A wolf learns to read in order to impress a group of farmyard

animals he has met.

Chapter Books

Wilson, Nancy Hope and Ramsey, Marcy D. Old people, frogs, and Albert.
New York: Farrar, [1997].

Couloumbis, Audrey. The misadventures of Maude March, or, Trouble
rides a fast horse. 1st ed. New York: Random House, [2005].

Funke, Cornelia Caroline. Inkheart. 1st American ed. New York:
Scholastic, [2003].

Funke, Cornelia Caroline. Inkspell. 1st American ed. New York:
Scholastic, [2005].

Stanley, Diane. The mysterious matter of I.M. Fine. 1st ed. New York,
NY: HarperCollins Publishers, [2001].

Spinelli, Jerry. The library card. New York: Scholastic Press, [1997].

Scieszka, Jon and Smith, Lane. Summer reading is killing me! New York:
Puffin, [2000, 1998].

Pinczes, Elinor J and Enos, Randall. My full moon is square. Boston:
Houghton Mifflin, [2002].

Lewis, J. Patrick and Stone, Kyle M. Please bury me in the library.
1st ed. Orlando: Harcourt, [2005].

Sylvia Jacquard, MLS
Library Technician
Coldbrook & District School