A second thank you to all who responded. Almost all posts were so positive
that I do indeed feel most fortunate that our school has received this
wonderful gift.  He seems so amazing that I thought others would want to
know about his presentation and perhaps get him for your school.

Barb

Original Post:

One of my schools (K-5)  has won a visit with author and illustrator Brian
Selznick from our Scholastic Book Fair. We are very excited and want to do
our best
during his visit. I often have authors, but they are of my choice after I
have researched them. I don't know much about Brian and have not spoken to
him or
have any contact with anyone from Scholastic who can tell me much. I can't
see that he has his own website either.

If you've had him for a visit, I would appreciate any info you would share
with me about him, how your students responded to him and how he responded
to your
students.

I want this to be a wonderful visit and right now I feel out of control of
the situation. Excited, but not  in control.

****************

I heard Brian speak at our huge Texas Library Association conference last
April. He was fascinating! He has been an illustrator as well as author. Ask
him to tell the kids how Hugo Cabret came about. It began as a book and
through doing illustrations for it he started taking out text and letting
the pictures tell part of the story.
He is a great speaker. Your kids are in for a treat.
After my telling teachers and parents how this book evolved, it really sold
in our book fair. It looks big but doesn't take long at all to read. I loved
it and so have my kids.
One teacher had a bright 7th gr son who didn't like to read but loved
drawing. After my telling her about Brian's work on Hugo, she told her son
and he was trying a similar format for a story.

I would love to have him at our campus for my 3rd-5th graders.

*************

How lucky you are!!! I have heard Brian several times, at TLA, our state
conference and  here at school. He is charming, easy to work with and the
teachers and students enjoyed his presentation. He really relates to the
kids. I read The Houdini Box to second grade every year and they love it.
His new book The Invention of Hugo Cabret is popular. In addition to all his
wonderful books  he is very cute.
Enjoy his visit.

*************

I am so jealous!!  I don't know much about Mr. Selznick, but we got two
copies of his book Invention of Hugo Cabret from our Scholastic Book Fair.
He wrote and illustrated this book.  There are probably more pages of
drawings than those with words, but they are awesome!  The first 40 some-odd
pages are nothing but drawings.  If you can get your hands on a copy,
definately take a look.  Keep us posted on how the visit goes.

***************

You are in for such a treat. Brian is an incredibly intelligent person
 who can really relate to the students. He's so interesting to talk to,
 and you'll get an instant feeling like you knew him forever when you
 meet him.  He came to my school years ago when Robot King was new.  My
 son, then 7th grade, met him, and has been a great fan ever since. Lucky,
 lucky you!

********************

I have had a visit from him before and am simultaneously very happy for you
and seething with jealousy.  He is a wonderful speaker—great with kids,
great with adults.  He has a slide show and will hopefully bring a few of
his props to demonstrate his ideas in progress.  You're probably aware of
his work (cover art of Frindle and others of Andrew Clements'), When Marian
Sang, Amelia and Eleanor go for a Ride and others as well as his own works
such as the Houdini Box and The Invention of Hugo Cabret.
He's great—don't worry.

****************

Brian Selznick came into an elementary school that I was working in several
years ago.  He was very engaging, came well prepared (as I recall, he had
his own slide show) & was terrific with the kids.  I actually remember being
so taken with him that I went out to get the "Doll People" at the time for
my daughter.  He was a really worthwhile presenter, I hope that you won't be
disappointed.

*******************

He is a fun crazy guy. I had him several years ago when I did Elementary and
he had just done his book about Houdini. He will probably bring
this doll that he takes all over New York and photographs her in different
places. He relates well to children. We had all of our fifth graders in
the audience for his presentation.

************

We had Brian Selznick several years ago and he was very well received
by students and teachers.  That said, he is a bit of a diva...

He was very particular about the lighting of the room because he
shows slides.  I was taping black paper to my windows 10 minutes
before our kids arrived because no one told me this.

He also was very upset by some of our students.  We have an
intermediate autistic class who tend to vocalize (it's part of their
syndrome...); he was very upset that they were present and let me
know about it.  (I apologized, but we are a public school and I can't
just tell a class that they aren't welcome at a presentation?!!)  He
also did not want to present to kindergarten.

My advice would be to contact him ahead of time and get a list of
what he wants so you can be prepared.  As I said, his visit was only
a problem for me--his presentation was great and the students and
teachers all loved him.

****************

Brian visited our school a couple of years ago and was great with the kids
and parents.

**************

We had Brian Selznick visit a long time ago. I just read a short piece in
the Horn Book that he wrote. You should definitely read that before his
visit. He is wild and crazy and the kids LOVED him. I read lots of his books
before he came.

*****************

I did not have him at my school, but he was a keynote speaker at Kutztown
Univ Lit conference this past April.  He gave a great presentation!  He had
a slide show of books that influenced him from his childhood, characters
that inspired him to draw, and the process of putting together his longest
and latest book The Invention of Hugo Cabret.  He's young and funny and
personable.  I'm sure you could email Kutztown Lib Sci dept to get their
opinions if you like.

*************

I haven't had him visit, but I'm very jealous!  My students love the Andrew
Clements books he's illustrated and Brian Selznick's book "The Invention of
Hugo Cabret" is very popular right now.  It was one of Al Roker's choices
for his Today Show kids' book club this past summer and the book is being
made into a movie.  I hope your visit is an enjoyable one!

*****************

Two years ago I had the pleasure of listening to Brian give a talk at
the Washington Children's Book Guild meeting. He was so funny and
engaging. We laughed through almost his whole talk. Granted, this was a
group of adults, but I can't believe he wouldn't be as engaging with
students. He does have a website that is great. Go to
http://www.theinventionofhugocabret.com/index.htm

There is a special "About Brian" section that he has written along with
links to other sites about him or that he really likes.

Enjoy you visit. I'm sure you will.

************

I had Brian Selznick here a few years ago and I wasn't very impressed- He
wasn't particularly friendly with the staff or kids- did an Ok presentation,
did have some cool stuff, but was kind of removed during the whole she-bang.

************

You MAY just be having the next Newbery winner! At least I hope so...for The
Invention of Hugo Cabret!

**************

How exciting.  What a wonderful win.  I haven't had him for a school visit
but he is absolutely a wonderful person.  Met him, and heard him speak at a
Scholastic dinner in Washington DC (ALA).  Check out his books you will LOVE
his picture books and his new novel/graphic novel mix.  The Invention of
Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick -- there is a website for that book at
http://www.theinventionofhugocabret.com/
And while he doesn't have his own website there are several great sites with
interviews --

http://www.rif.org/art/illustrators/selznick.mspx
http://www.booksense.com/people/archive/selznick.jsp
http://www.kidsreads.com/authors/au-selznick-brian.asp
http://www.cbcbooks.org/cbcmagazine/meet/brian_selznick.html
http://content.scholastic.com/browse/contributor.jsp?id=3180
http://www.hbook.com/magazine/articles/2007/sep07_selznick.asp
http://www.gritskidz.com/Interviews/ill_selznick.html
and
http://picturebookillustration.blogspot.com/2007/04/brian-selznick-talks-about-hugo-cabret.html

Where are you located?  Can I come when you have him????  Boy do I wish!
How lucky you all are.

--
Barbara Fritz
Elementary Librarian