We have library volunteer parents who accompany each class and usually do the read
aloud and help with checkout since I'm the only one in the library. While I do have
a few that aren't very interesting story-tellers, I have one enthusiastic mom who
is just a delight. However, she has just emailed me a listing she found for a large
leather chair that she wants to buy and donate to replace the chair that parents
currently sit in. The problems are: I don't like the chair! I don't think leather
is a good choice in an elementary school library because kids use this chair as
well and is rather formal and doesn't look very cozy. The $300 could be spent in so
many ways that are truly needed, yet the parent isn't interested in the other items
I've said we could benefit from. She also wants a side table so the reading parent
can put their keys, sunglasses, a glass of water and the book on it. (A glass of
water near our picture books? I tell the kids not to do that!)

She means well, but how can I redirect her or flat-out say no without dimming her
excitement for story time? By the way, she reads for 2nd graders, and actually
sings a welcome song each time they come in. Last week as her own daughter came in
the door, she cringed and covered her ears while saying, "No! Not the song" just as
her mom began. It's a cute song, but a bit babyish for them. Any tactful responses
are greatly appreciated.

Gail Brubaker, Librarian
srvca.library@comcast.net
San Ramon Valley Christian Academy