I asked for suggestions of materials to include in my Dollar General Grant
application to help struggling readers who are in my book club.  Thanks for all who
responded!  I never cease to be amazed by the collegiality and the generosity of
the LM_Netters.   If anyone is interested, the application has to be in by October
5 (no faxes or online appliations), but it's a very simple applilcation.

Many people suggested Playaways from Follett:
Follett makes a product called Playaways. They are books on what is similar to an
ipod. They can be played at different speeds, rewound, etc.  There are no tapes or
cds to break.

I would suggest playaways instead of MP3s as the technology gap widens between
tapes, CDs, MP3s and IPods. Which format do youget your collection in and still
have students who have that format at home. Plaways solves that by just playing
the material.

I think Playaways are a better option for audiobooks.  No other equipment required
except batteries.

Suggestions for books:
Books with a lot of photographs encourage reading as well, like art and photography
books, giant, expensive nature photography books, books with photographs of
graffiti: Hungry Planet; Material World; March of the Penguins

A vote for MP3 players:
The MP3 players is a great idea! These kids will feel successful reading the same
books that they might be otherwise unable to read.  It has been a great addition to
our library.

A free website with downloadable audiobooks:  http://librivox.org/
It is a website where volunteers have recorded audio books of public domain
literary works such as "Peter Pan" by J.M. Barrie.  Since they are public domain
works, the titles are older, and I'm not sure if they would appeal to your
reluctant readers, but it is a free (and legal) source of downloadable MP3 audio
books.

--
Sandra Lingo, Librarian
Delhi Middle School