This article feels a little dusty, like it was written five or ten years
ago.  To what library is she referring?  Has she visited more than  one, or read
any literature about how libraries have changed in the last several  years?
The first paragraph is mind-boggling.  Her point of view might  refer to a few
old-fashioned libraries here and there, but overall it reads as  largely
irrelevant and out of date.  I know a lot of librarians and  libraries...none of
them look or run like the library to which this student  refers.  While in her
way she is advocating for libraries, she seems to be  talking about a type of
library that is already obsolete.  Librarians  peering from behind counters,
books guarded as if in Fort Knox,   print reference being forced on students by
Luddites...who does any of  that?  Not me, and judging from the years of
new-fangled librarianship  I've read about just from subscribing to LM_NET, not
anyone  here.  Andrea just needs to get out a little more and do better  research
before writing...or if she is criticizing one particular library, name  it,
rather than generalizing so egregiously.  She could benefit from  the help of a
good teacher-librarian.

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles,
discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things  distinguishes
the strong soul from the weak. Thomas Carlyle

Steve  Patnode, MLS
Grades 7-12 SLMS
Chazy Central Rural School
Chazy, NY  12921