Kathy,

In the past we have just used a cheap baking pan (cookie sheets).  They are flat
and easy to store and work great with the magnets.  Just make sure the magnets will
stick to the type of pans you get.  If you choose this option.  The magnets can be
stored in the pans as well.  Keeping the activity altogether.  I'm not sure if
there are rolls of some type of metal at Lowes or Home Depot that you might be able
to utilize for this if it needs to be larger.  Locker supplies in stationary may
have some type of magnetic board as well (this might not be large enough though.)
Cookie sheets worked the best.

Hope this helps,
Julie Rossman
Substitute, Jersey Shore Elementary School
Jersey Shore, PA
SL&IT Masters Program Mansfield Univ.
rossmanja07@mounties.mansfield.edu