From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Steve Bazis
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 7:16 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] Good Boolean search topics

When I taught Boolean operators to a group of student workers in our
college, I gave a simple example of using dolphins and whales, having
them
search using those terms on the computers they were using during class.
dolphins AND whales
dolphins OR whales
dolphins NOT whales

Of course they got more hits with the OR operator, but one has to be
careful
in using the NOT operator with related terms because they might miss
information that could be helpful to them.  In other words, if one
searches
"dolphins NOT whales" they might miss out on books that have information
on
dolphins, but since the book contains whales also, the book will not
show
up.  On the other hand, having a statement such as "computers AND net
NOT
fishing" will result in information about computers and computer nets
but
leave out anything regarding fishing, even though both terms use nets.

Just something to share; hope it helps.

Steve Bazis
Assistand Director
Rebekah Horton Library