Richie's Picks: THE LONDON EYE MYSTERY by  Siobhan Dowd, RH/David Fickling
Books, February 2008, 324p. ISBN:  978-0-375-84976-3

"What goes up must come down
Spinning wheel got to go 'round"
--Blood, Sweat & Tears

"Kat and I tracked Salim's capsule as it made its orbit.   When it reached
its highest point, we both said, 'NOW!' at the same time and Kat  laughed and I
joined in.  That's how we knew we'd been tracking the right  one.  We saw the
people bunch up as the capsule came back down, facing  northeast towards the
automatic camera for the souvenir photograph.  They  were just dark bits of
jackets, legs, dresses, and sleeves.
"Then the capsule landed.  The doors opened and the  passengers came out in
twos and threes.  They walked off in different  directions.  Their faces were
smiling.  Their paths never crossed  again.
"But Salim wasn't among them.
"We waited for the next capsule and the next and the one after  that.  He
still didn't appear.  Somewhere, somehow, in the thirty  minutes of riding the
Eye, in his sealed capsule, he had vanished off the face  of the earth.  This is
how having a funny brain that runs on a different  operating system from
other people's helped me to figure out what had  happened."

Twelve-year-old Ted's mind does not process like that of the  typical person.
 He is wired in a fashion that causes him to be "very good  at thinking about
facts and how things work."  He is a young man with  an obsession with and
excellent understanding of weather and weather  patterns.

Ted and Kat's cousin Salim and their Aunt Gloria have  come visiting them in
London, having given up their home in  Manchester in preparation for a move to
New York City.  Ted hasn't seen the  likeable Salim in years.  When asked
what he'd like to do, Salim,  who loves a good view, opts for experiencing a spin
on the London  Eye.  Then, when a random stranger offers them a free ticket,
Salim  snags the freebie, leaves his cousins standing in the lengthy ticket
line, boards the Eye, and disappears.

Ted has a "syndrome" that makes it difficult for him to  recognize body
language, makes it difficult to cope with others touching  him, and often causes
him to take what is said literally: "He and Aunt  Gloria walked up to our front
door through our front garden, which Mum says is  the size of a postage stamp.
 In fact, it's three metres by five and I once  worked out that it could fit
22,500 stamps."

Nevertheless, Ted -- whose theories and questions are  generally ignored by
most of the adults around him -- uses his unusually-wired  mind to examine the
facts from all possible angles in his quest to solve the  London Eye Mystery.

"The inspector looked at me without saying anything.  The  corners of her
lips turned up, which meant she was slightly amused.  Then  she tapped her nose
with her interlocked fingers.  'So,' she said.   'You'd allow for a margin of
error?'
"'Only a small one,' I said.  'Two per  cent.'
"'Two per cent?'
"'In every human observation,' I explained, 'there is a margin  of error.
This is because our senses are not foolproof.  In fact,  some people believe
that one hundred per cent certainty is impossible to  achieve.'  I stopped and
put my head on one side.  'As humans, we  cannot even be sure that the sun will
rise the next day.  Our  assumption that it will do so is arrived at by a
process of induction.   This is a process where probability based on past
observation allows us to  predict things like weather patterns--'"

"Walking thru that door
Outside we came
Nowhere at  all
Perhaps the answers here
Not there anymore" -- Moody Blues, "House of  Four Doors"

THE LONDON EYE MYSTERY is so much fun!  Ted is such an  engaging and
endearing narrator, and it is so interesting to follow his lines of  reasoning as
we,
as readers, try to catch a dropped clue that will give us an  edge over the
book's characters in figuring out what has actually befallen  Salim.  This book
will surely cause readers to consider with  newfound  respect those classmates
and friends who are wired  differently -- and will certainly have some
readers thinking about the  weather.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com