Here's the list.  Thanks for all of your recommendations.  By the way,
she chose PEACE LIKE A RIVER by Leif Enger.

ORIGINAL REQUEST:

Our 11th grade English teacher is looking for suggestions for a class
novel for the last six weeks.  We were thinking about Into Thin Air, but
that possibility was nixed because of expletives.  We'd like to find a
contemporary work, fiction or nonfiction, that is relevant, not too
complicated, and a good read.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Morenson (3) - current & plenty of topics to
discuss & research

Slaughterhouse Five  by Kurt Vonnegut

In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer  by Jennifer Armstrong

The Five People you Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (also Nineteen Minutes & The Tenth
Circle)

The Firm,

Beantrees,

Feed

The Things They Carried (2)

My Sister's Keeper.

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (one book?)

The Great Gatsby

Night by Elie Weisel

Scarlet letter

Glass Menagerie

Raisin in the sun

Old man and the sea

The Secret Life of Bees

Bless Me Ultima

The Chosen

Girl with a Pearl Earring

The Good Earth

The Catcher in the Rye

The Great Gatsby

Ethan Frome

Their Eyes Were Watching God

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Bluest Eye

Of Mice and Men

Monster

Witness

Speak

The Grapes of Wrath

A Yellow Raft on Blue Water

The Joy Luck Club

Native Speaker

Native Son

Invisible Man

The Color Purple

China Boy

Black Boy

On the Road

Reservation Blues

Third and Indiana

If Beale Street Could Talk

Peace Like a River

Having Our Say, by the Delany sisters

Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

Broken for You, by Stephanie Kallos

BOY'S LIFE  by Robt. McCammon

We Beat the Streets

TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE