Hi Friends--

Just got back from a typical (but curiously fun) week
on the road for BER, Judy's Disaster Tour in Tornado Alley.
The first night, there was a flood in the hotel in Wichita
(the sprinkler system went off on the 2nd floor & the
lobby ceiling fell in and the guests were evacuated,
in their jammies, outside at 1 a.m.). There was a tornado
that night in Oklahoma City, the day before we arrived
(last year I was there for a blizzard in Nov. and an ice storm
in Jan.), and, glory be, a tornado in Little Rock on Thursday
night. It didn't hit our hotel, thankfully, but all the guests
spent the evening in the lobby listening to the tornado sirens,
wondering if we should go down to the basement shelter.

I'm adding this week's adventures to my existing and
ever-growing list of disasters (the hotel fire in GA 2 years
ago, the lost luggage in Erie 3 weeks ago, the canceled flights
and subsequent long weekend stay in Rapid City last year,
the fires in Roanoke a few months back, and I'm sure there
are more I've suppressed in my memory).

What can I expect for my last BER week of the year next week
in Texas, Shreveport, and Albuquerque? Tsunamis? Earthquakes?
Good chili? (Check www.BER.org to see the schedule.)
Anyway, it's nice to be home in New Jersey this week where
all we have are toxic waste, organized crime, and the usual sex
scandals.

I read someone's post last week about Mo Willems's new book,
The Pigeon Wants . . . It was very hard for me to keep this little
secret, but I was asked to write Hyperion's new event kit for
that book, so I've known all year what that greedy guts wanted.
Whew. Now, at last, you all know, too, that he wants a PUPPY.
You can download the event kit as a .doc or a PDF. (Actually,
the folks at Hyperion forgot to send me a copy, so thank you
to that LM_NET person who gave you--and me--the heads-up.
I hadn't even seen the finished guide, nor did I know it would be
coming out in time for the book's publication date, or that it was
on Mo's site. So that was pretty exciting to find out.)

Go to Mo Willems's terrific website, www.pigeonpresents.com.
Click on GROWN-UP STUFF (it's the 5th icon down on the left,
with a picture of the 2 grownup pigeons). You'll hear,
"Grown-up stuff. BOOORING!" You'll then see, at the bottom of
the screen, a nice list of teacher's guides and activity kits you
can download and print out, all of which I've written. There's:
     The Pigeon Wants a Puppy! Event Kit
     Pigeon Teachers' Guide
     Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale
     Elephant & Piggie Event Kit

I noticed that Mo hasn't listed my new Knuffle Bunny Too Event Kit
on his site yet, but you can download it as a PDF from Hyperion's site,
www.hyperionbooksforchildren. Type KNUFFLE in the search bar,
click GO, and then click on the book's title, which will take you to
its home page, where you'll see the event kit listed with a link.

For more of my teacher's guides, do the same thing for
Rosemary Wells's book, My Kindergarten (where you can also download
free my accompanying CD); Lane Smith's John, Paul, George & Ben; and,
sometime this spring, the guide for all 3 Clementine books by
Sara Pennypacker, including the forthcoming Clementine's Letter.

Feel free to steal--uh, I mean SYNTHESIZE--any and all of my ideas.
We don't need to reinvent every wheel.

Judy

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
"Wild About Books" columnist
School Library Media Activities Monthly
Author of Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3
(Libraries Unlimited, 2006; www.LU.com)
and the brand new Once Upon a Time:
Using Storytelling, Creative Drama, and
Reader's Theater with Children in Grades K-6 (2007)
65 North Sixth Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
732-572-5634 / BKWSSF@aol.com
www.JudyReadsBooks.com