Here are the responses I have had to date... if you have any others or
different opinions, please email me.
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this!  Very interesting!

HIT:
Publishers Weekly is my favorite because the reviews come out months ahead
of time
==== ===========
Anderson's Bookshop in Naperville, IL puts out the finest titles! It is
like no other!

  http://www.andersonsbookshop.com
============ =============
shelf awareness  - an email newsletter
you can probably google their site to sign up
================
If you go to most of the publisher's websites they usually have a service
where they will tell you news about their authors and some even send email
alerts. All you have to do is subscribe.
Also, you can't beat your local independent bookseller who will be happy
to let you know when something is available for purchase!  The cultivation
of that relationship can not be understated, and is only second to that of
one with your local public librarian.
I also read some of the trade magazines online, Publishers Weekly, etc,.
and I lurk listservs where other library professionals discuss children's
literature and will be happy to share book news.
Time consuming? Yes.  Effective? Most of the time.
===         =      ============
This is a terrible but honest answer - BJ's Wholesale Club or Wegmans
grocery stores in the Rochester area.  That's for books for myself, of
course, not necessarily the students.  I see the newest titles in those
places and then go request them through my public library.(Or, if it's a
favorite author, I buy the book.)
========== ===============
I am in a high school and belong to a list serve called adbooks. They
discuss new literature and authors.  Pretty interesting and very
informative for what is going on currently in YA lit.

 Animated picture of books falling into a stack on top of each other.
============ ===========
I like to browse bookstores.  Some people like to go to the mall to
windowshop and I like to go to the mall and head straight to the
bookstores.  I don't usually buy anything (in fact, for a librarian, my
own collection is very small) but I will browse around.  When I see
something that I really like, I make a note of it on my cellphone (text to
home) or write it down on a piece of paper.  I don't feel bad doing this
as the managers of the store know that I will usually return with a
purchase order in hand to purchase some of the new titles.

I also spend a very large amount of my free time at the public libraries
like at the Manhattan Library in Manhattan Kansas.  I find that they have
a much bigger budget than my school budget and they do a great job getting
new books.  I will check out anywhere from 15 to 30 books at a time, take
them home and then read them or at least "preview" them to see if any of
them look like good fits to my collection.  If they do, I add them to a
spreadsheet labeled Wanted Titles that I can refer back to as needed.

Lastly, I use the award sites such as YALSA best books for YA, Quick picks
for reluctant readers, WAW award book (state award), School library
starred review list ect.  But, with some of these list, I still will go to
the public library and check out the books first before I order them.  I
have found with the YALSA site especially, what is a great book for
someone in New York is not a great book for my little area where the
people are highly conservative.  And by reading as many of the books as I
can, it helps me down the road suggesting books to kids and their
teachers.
========== ============

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk

======================== ============
Generally these 4 ways.

1. School Library Journal
2. Recommendations from students/teachers/peers
3. Conferences
4. I ask in local bookstores "What is selling"
====================== ==============
I go to the bookstores, read catalogs (I especially like the one I get
from Regent Books), and receive review copies in the mail, due to my job
as junior fiction reviewer for Teacher-Librarian magazine. I guess I don't
have a  favorite place - I get ideas from all over!
=================== ============
A visit to a local B&N or Borders.
================ ========
I receive emails from Amazon & Barnes & Nobles about new releases. I get a
daily newsletter called Shelf Awareness that has new titles. I search by
author in Follett to keep up with the newest books by the students'
favorites.
============= =============
I read booklist
============== ========
Boy - isn't this one of the best parts of our job? I tell the kids we call
it "collection development" but I just call it "shopping".

I occasionally, but not often, post about new books on my blog:
http://lib.surruralist.net

And I read these blogs who do often post about books:
http://planetesme.blogspot.com/
http://hiplibrariansbookblog.blog-city.com/
http://abbylibrarian.blogspot.com/
http://6traits.wordpress.com/feed/

I also do the more traditional School Library Journal & Horn Book route.
And of course I listen to the kids. They leave me notes in my mailbox, on
my desk, in my book suggestion basket. I'm always begging them to write it
down - I've got a terrible memory!
I read the reviews in Booklist and School Library Journal faithfully. I
also prowl my local Barnes & Noble. I like to watch what the kids pick up
to read and listen to them talk about the books. Of course, I often wind
up making suggestions to them and getting suggestions from them. I'm never
without a "wish list" of books to order!

Maureen Mooney, LMS
Caroline Street School
Saratoga Springs, NY
mm9161@albany.edu