After an entire year of trying, I finally found a book that one of my
senior boys is loving. It's Hole in my Life by Jack Gantos. Thank
goodness for that ALA Grant. Now, what else can I direct him towards?
I checked the archives but found suggestions aimed at mostly younger
students. This is a HS senior who is at about a "4th grade" reading
level (I hate that we put reading levels with grades/ages) but
obviously wants high-interest books. He's well-liked and athletic and
therefore will not be seen (understandably) with books that are
obviously dumbed down.
He's already been asking me what to read next (bless his heart, it's
slow-going for him but he's so excited to have found something he
enjoys reading!)
Any suggestions? They don't have to be crime or prison-related, but
that certainly wouldn't hurt. He loves art as well and is going to
college next year on an art scholarship. Most of what I can think of
would be much too difficult for him to read independently. I don't
want to lose this one! Thanks!

--
Meagan Newberry, Librarian
West Yellowstone School