Good Morning,

  As a returning librarian this year, I'm still playing catch-up.  I'm behind on
many issues, and bibliotherapy is one of them.  We're working on several new
projects at my school and I need books to address several issues.  Let me give you
a synopsis of where I am and who we are.

  I am located in the Southeast corner of Arkansas - within an hour drive of
Mississippi & Louisiana.  Our district/county is qualified as Delta, but we are on
the east side of our county and most of our funds come from a local paper mill,
which employees most of our families.  We have a large agricultural community,
although it doesn't involve most of my kids directly, they have contact and perhaps
family that farms.  Our city has about 7,000 people, but many of our kids are
rural.  We have about a 60/40 ratio of white to African American students, and we
have a growing Hispanic population, due to migrant workers who sometimes settle in
our area.  Less than 10% of our students are Hispanic - but of those, they are
often the only ones in their families to speak English.

  There is nothing much to do in our area.  Baseball rules the spring and summer.
However, organized sports are sometimes a luxury for our students.  We have a large
population of hunters and fishermen - sometimes from necessity, but mostly for
sport.  Gangs are becoming more popular and teen pregnancy rates are rising.  Drugs
are an issue, and although we are in a dry county, alcohol is available and easy to
come by.

  So, now that I've painted a dismal picture, there is potential!  We have all
sorts of new ideas and opportunities coming up - but many of our families and
students have lost hope.  I need books that see where we are and show a way out.
Like many of you, I have students who, even at 4th grade, are raising younger
brothers and sisters.  The majority of our students are from broken homes and many
live with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and foster homes.  Lots of single parent
homes - and lots of sick single parents.  I need coping books - at a lower to mid
elementary level.

  For example, I have two African American boys who are living with a single mother
on dialysis.  I have several African American girls who are physically developing
rather quickly and need some guidance about dealing with that issue (remember, it's
only 4th grade) in a home where random men come and go.  Many of our students -
African American & white need help dealing with family issues - the single mom,
grandmother, foster home issues.  Our high school drop-out rate is...well, I won't
give the number.  We'v GOT to address that as well.  Our babies are raising babies
and no one can see a way to break the cycle and find a way out.  I know not
everyone is bound for college, but there are other alternatives.

  I'm sure I'm facing the same issues as many of you.  And, I need help!  I have no
idea where to start looking.  I tend to purchase books that interest me, but as a
middle class white woman, that leaves a lot of my kids out.  I'm aware of my
tendencies and am being very cautious about buying what I want to read.  So.
That's chapter one of my life story!  Any suggestions you can make towards
recommended reading for my kids in any of these circumstances or others are
welcome.  Every child has a story - and although I many not be able to address all
of them, I want to do better than I am right now.  Help is needed and much
appreciated.

  Thanks,
  HG

Holly Gillum, LMS
  Anderson Elementary
  Crossett, AR 71635
  exlibrishg@yahoo.com

  "Reading gives you some place to go when you have to stay where you are."  ~Mason
Cooley