Thank you to everyone who responded to my target!

*Here is my original question:*

I would love to use a wiki or a blog with my sixth grade classes as part of
a book study, but I am having difficulty finding a resource that allows
these younger students to register.  Does anyone have a free resource to
recommend?

*Here are the responses I received:*

PBWiki will allow you to create a wiki key now which is like a password that
you can give to the students. They should be able to just type that in to
access your wiki without registering with PBWiki. You can do this and still
have the wiki listed as private so that no one could access it without the
wiki key.
* Many people recommended this resource.  I created an account here and am
using it with one of my classes.

I've used Gaggle.net with 6th grade. It has blog capability.

 http://www.writeboard.com/

I have had good luck with edublogs.org.  Students get a blog through
learnerblogs.org (same company).  Totally free and easy to use.  Kids who
are more tech savvy can do more customization, but if not it is not hard to
do.  I am not sure if they have a wiki feature.
*I have an edublog account, but I haven't tried learnerblogs yet.  I'll add
that to my to do list. :-)

 I use Wikispaces. They allow educators more space than private users
which is a plus. To enable students to edit the wiki, all you have to do
is send them an e-mail of the user names and passwords you want to
assign. You can also just use a generic, grade level user name and
password: e.g. - User Name (grade_6) Password: (mrsmolen).

* Three people recommended this resource.  I also created an account with
wikispaces and am currently using it with one of my classes.

 I have created a wiki for my students and we spent our class period today
responding to posts, editing information and so on.  The kids were so
excited.  I even heard a few of them say that they were going to go to the
wiki from their home computer to make contributions.  It's so wonderful to
see them excited about a book project!

Thanks again,

Kendra Molen
Librarian