Hi Carol and others,

From Hobbs, Renee, Peter Jaszi and Patricia Aufderheide ³Ten Common
Misunderstandings about Fair Use² Temple University Media Education Lab
http://mediaeducationlab.com/index.php?page=274

"Myth #5: I can only use a small amount of a copyrighted work under the fair
use doctrine.

Truth: According to the law, there is no exact percentage that you are
allowed to use under the fair use provision. The questions to consider are:
how and why are you using the material? In a variety of situations where the
use of copyrighted materials is required for the creation of new creative
work, you can use an entire work."

Read the entire document. I have gathered other "user-centric" publications
around this issue at: https://dougjohnson.wikispaces.com/NUTS

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the percentage of the work that was
the student's own, not what percent of another's work was used...

All the best,

Doug

Doug Johnson
Director of Media and Technology
Mankato Area Public Schools
Box 8713, 1351 S Riverfront Dr.
Mankato MN 56001-8714
Phone: 507-387-7698 x 473
E-mail: doug0077@gmail.com
Web: www.doug-johnson.com
Blue Skunk Blog: http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/

³Thou shalt not² might reach the head, but it takes ³Once upon a time² to
reach the heart. Philip Pullman