I'm in Illinois, where readers vote for the winners of the Monarch
(K-3) and Rebecca Caudill (4-8) awards. I know that other states have
similar "reader's choice" awards. For the second year in a row we will
be encouraging students to read as many of the 20 nominated titles for
each award as possible, and vote for their favorites.  Last year we
offered small incentives for number of books read as they reached
certain milestones.

My question is this:  For those of you who have students participate
in similar programs, do you ask them for some accountability that they
really read the books?  I don't want them to write a book report, but
I'm trying to come up with some ways that they can "prove" to me that
they read the books before they vote.  Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks,

Kate Tamms
Gary D. Wright Elementary
Hampshire, IL 60140