I am going to be interviewing with the superintendent next week for my  first
ever high school position (I just grad. w/ my MLS in Dec. after being an
elem. school teacher for 21 years.) I interviewed with the principal and he  told
me I'd be responsible for a 9th grade orientation. The library is not
automated. I am looking forward to the challenge of turning the  library around, as
well as weeding & automating it if I get the job.  I'd also be responsible for
getting kids to actually take out books and come  voluntarily to the library
for reasons other than study hall (he said no one has  taken out books in his
4 yrs. as principal) That will be another question for  another day.

My question today is: if the superintendent asks me what would I do with a
bunch of 9th grade English classes for orientation if there is no OPAC and the
books are outdated, what to respond? I'm hoping they have databases (I saw a
few  computers scattered around the library on my tour, and there is a full
class  computer lab) that I could talk about for a bit. I don't know the ages of
the  encyclopedias or reference books.

What is usually supposed to go on during 9th grade orientation? Does it  last
the whole hour period?

I'm hoping that I could cull through your experiences  and thoughts to devise
a plan for orientation & my answer.

I would appreciate any help you can give. My interview is early Wed.

Thanks!
Alma

Alma Ramos-McDermott
ALA Spectrum Scholar  2006