 Let me preface my remarks by saying I have no experience with this age group at
all, but I am
assuming that by 'orientation' you are introducing them to the library and its
services.

Therefore, could you not turn the task around and have them introduce you to their
library - after
all, they are the ones who have been there before and you are the newbie.  You
would find out what
they already know and have so you are not wasting time later by teaching this.
Tell them that there
will be changes happening but ask what already works for them and what doesn't.
(You might discover
why there has been no borrowing for 4 years.)  Ask what changes they would like to
see, in an ideal
world of no budget restraints, and to prioritise these.  This allows them to draw
on their knowledge
of other facilities as well as helping you develop a plan. Ask them how they could
use their
existing knowledge of libraries to help you undertake some of the tasks on the
plan. (Perhaps they
could look at the publication dates of the non fiction and pull those older than
ten years so you
can then make your initial weeding decisions from that pile.)

By having them involved in this sort of input, you are giving them ownership of the
facility and you
will be surprised at how much they will value this.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
COOMA NSW 2630