When I work with the youngest groups (PreK 4s- kinders), I simplify the rules:

  1. Do not hurt myself.
  2. Do not hurt others.
  3. Do not hurt things.

  Every child seems to be able to identify what it means to hurt, although they may
have no idea what it means to respect. With my older students, I remind them of the
rules, but we expand the word "hurt" to includes respect, and we discuss
age-appropriate examples.

  Liz

Marsha Redd <marsharedd@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
  This is very similar to my rule. Respect each other, respect the library and the
books, respect the computers, and above all I tell them with a sly smile on my
face, respect the librarian.