Last week I posted a target asking for lessons using movement. What I
really wanted were some ideas for teaching library skills with movement.
Like Judy Freeman's The Author Writes the Book which someone did suggest.
If you do anything this year using movement or song to teach information
skills concepts, please share with everyone.

This past summer I completely rearranged the library. It reminded me of
"fruit basket turnover." So today I played that game with my kids, but,
instead of fruits, we were types of books. Like chapter books, picture
books, non-fiction books, reference books, and biography books. After we
played the game, I pointed out to them that I had moved everything in the
library. I think they got the message. Saddest part of the story, only one
child in my 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes I had today had ever played or
even heard of the game. They thought it was lots of fun...

Here's my original target and the help I received. I tried to thank
everyone for their help, but I was blocked on one email. Since Shonda
posted her answer to the list, her information is not listed in the hit.

TARGET: Back to work in the South today...I went to an inservice where we
talked about using movement, chants, songs, etc., in our lessons. While I
use some of Judy Freeman's and Pat Miller's stuff already and try to let
my kids work in groups, I wondered if any of you have any songs or
movement lessons you would like to share. I know that I myself was about
to fall asleep while the instructor was lecturing and then he got us up
for a movement activity and it woke me right up!

At school I have a book called "Hi Ho Librario!" and it has songs and
fingerplays. A cute one is the song "The Author Writes the Book" sung to
the tune of "The Farmer in the Dell". Instead of "Hi Ho the dairy-o", you
substitute "Hi Ho Librario".   The author is Judy Freeman.

I have a CD of library songs from Scholastic.  There is not movement
associated with them though. I like to use Shake your Sillies out with
pre-K and Kindergarten.  I have helped out with a program at the public
library and she used Tootie tah (spelling?).  She also adapted Twinkle
Twinkle  and Five Little Monkeys with movement.

In the past I have used the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. You can create
your own dance or borrow some instruments from the music room have the
children make alphabet signs then arrange the children in an alphabet
parade. My Kindergarten kids love doing this and it uses up some of their
excess energy.

I will pull out "Hokey Pokey" and "Father Abraham" when I think I have at
least 5 minutes of extra time after book checkout with my little guys. For
some reason, though, the one I am always asked for is "Grandpa's Glasses."
I introduced this during our Grandparents week a couple of years ago, and
now it is a regular hit. The twist we've begun to add is figuring out how
OTHER people / creatures besides grandpa and grandma would wear their
glasses, and then also fill in the blank appropriately. Here is the
original:

This is Grandpa's glasses                   < hands make circles around
eyes >
And this is Grandpa's hat                    < hands make a flat circle on
top of head >
And this is how he folds his arms         < cross arms >
JUST    LIKE    THAT !                         < emphasize each word by
                                                            dropping
crossed arms
toward floor &
back up >

This is Grandma's glasses                 < same as above, but with dainty
movements>
And this is Grandma's hat                  < ditto >
And this is how she folds her hands    < quietly and methodically fold hands
And puts them in her lap.                        and put gently in lap >

This is the easiest way to get story time attention and position for me. I
also then promise that if we listen well to the story and finish in time,
we can do other "verses" as we wait for teacher. They love my version of
Big Brother and Big Sister!

Thanks to all!
Nancy Dickinson, Librarian
Hillsboro Elem. School