I want to let you know about this contest. I won it a few years ago and I
think you would enjoy it. Please consider entering yourself and pass it along
to any adult or student you think might be interested. You do have send in
membership dues if you don't already belong, but they aren't much ($3 for
children, $10 for adults). I'm going to be speaking on Wilder at Pepin Days
again this year and I'm really looking forward to, so consider coming whether
you enter the contest or not.

Sarah S. Uthoff
Reference Librarian
Kirkwood Community College
Cedar Rapids, IA
suthoff@mchsi.com

   Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society to Sponsor Seventh Annual Essay
Contest
        Thousands of people come to Pepin every year to see the birth site of
Laura Ingalls Wilder and the town about which she wrote in Little House in the
Big Woods.   They come because they have been inspired by her books, and many
report life decisions or philosophies that have been influenced by Laura.
Many families read the books together, hoping their own family can learn from
the Ingalls “all work together cheerfully even when things aren’t going
perfectly” style.
        Knowing that there are many more great stories out there, the Laura
Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society is sponsoring the seventh annual essay
contest.  The theme of the essay is, “How Laura Ingalls Wilder influenced my
life.”   The contest is divided into two sections, one for adults of eighteen
years or older, and one for young people under eighteen years of age.  The
essay can have a maximum of 300 words.  The entrance deadline is August 19,
2008, and the winner will be announced and the winning entry read on Saturday,
September 13, 2008, during Laura Ingalls Wilder Days in Pepin.
        Past winners have written about their “discovery” of Laura Ingalls
Wilder and how her books helped them through a difficult time, or awakened
them to a lifelong interest in reading or history.  A retired teacher wrote
about her pleasure and success using the “Little House” books in the classroom
for many years.  The young writers wrote about the way Laura Ingalls Wilder
inspired them to do their best.
        For more information contact: Catherine Latané, (715)442-2419
The Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society of
Pepin, Wisconsin is sponsoring

The seventh annualEssay Contest
On the topic
How Laura Ingalls Wilder influenced my life.
Prize includes publication in the Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society
newsletter.
 Rules
1.  Entrants must be current members of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial
Society of Pepin.
2.  Entries must be 300 words or less.
3.  Entries must be typed.
4.  Entries must be the original work of the entrant.
5.  Only one entry per entrant.
6.  Entry deadline, August 19, 2008.
7.  Send entry to:  Essay Contest, PO Box 62, Pepin, WI  54759
8.  Winner to be announced, and winning essay to be read aloud, on Saturday,
Sept. 13, 2008 during Laura Ingalls Wilder
     Days in Pepin.  Winners will be notified by Sept. 1, 2008.