I had some requests for information on how to play fruit basket turnover.
I'll admit I had to google it to refresh my memory, and I copied and
pasted the directions into a word doc changing the fruit parts to books.
So now I will copy my word doc and paste it below...

I also got another good idea from Susan for an activity which is copied
and pasted here.  "I do a lesson that uses movement as the children
"snake" their way through the picture book section of the library...The
Library Snake  Only sound kids make is ssssssssssss. We line up one behind
the other and walk around the picture book section going from  A - Z    We
stop and kids look at a book wherever they are  *they each take a space
saver)  Ususally by the end of the time of slithering through the EASY
section, everyone has an idea of a book they might want to take out.  It
is most effective if I have a parent or grandparent volunteer to help with
the rear of the "snake."

Library Book Turnover (variation of fruit basket turnover)

The game is played as follows:
•       The players are divided into equal-sized groups, with each group having
the name of a type of book.
•       A circle is formed with a number of chairs equal to one less than the
number of players. The players sit on the chairs, ensuring that members of
each group are evenly distributed around the circle.
•       One player will be left without a chair, and will stand in the center of
the circle.
•       The player standing in the center calls out one of the book names. When
this happens, all players in that group must stand up from their seats and
move to another seat in the circle. The player in the center must attempt
to take one of the free seats while the other players are moving. All
players must move quickly.
•       A new player will then be left in the center, enabling the game to be
repeated. If any player failed to move even though their group's book name
was called, they are required to move into the center and the player
previously in the center sits in their seat.
•       Instead of stating a book name, the player in the center may call
"Library books Turnover” in which case everybody must move to a different
seat.
•       There is often a restriction that the player must move to a seat not
adjacent to their own

Instead of fruits, library books…

Chapter books
Picture books
Non-fiction books (or Dewey books)
Reference books
Biography books

Library books turnover

If you have any questions, feel free to ask...

Nancy Dickinson, Librarian
Hillsboro Elem. School
Hillsboro, TN 37342
dickinson1@k12tn.net