If you have access to online databases, then the fiction section is the meat
and potatoes of your library. If you're still reliant on books for
nonfiction and reference, you should still have a substantial fiction
section.

High school students are at a dangerous tipping point in reading for
enjoyment. They not longer have the rewards programs that encouraged them to
read when they were in elementary/middle school and they are swamped with
information in textbooks. But if we don't maintain a love of reading as they
go through high school, they will probably not read for enjoyment as adults.

I use book reviews from VOYA and Library Media Connections magazines to
choose a lot of my fiction buys. You'll see there that they indicate that
certain books are designed for young adults in grades 9-12. So there are
books that are specifically aimed at high schoolers.

I also include some adult fiction along with titles from classic literature
in my fiction collection. The more variety the better, and then learn how to
present books to high school students in a way that appeals to them.

Good luck with your new job. High school is great! You're going to love it.

Deb Waugh
Librarian/Instructional Technologist
The Emmett G. Shufflebarger Library
at Graham High School