Thank you very much, LM_NET subscribers. I received numerous replies to my request
for nonfiction hunting and fishing book ideas for our middle school. I wish I could
include all the annotated bibliographic information provided, but I listed just the
titles and authors for the sake of space. Here is a list of ideas compiled from the
following contributors: Karen Smith, Valerie Brunner, Cheryl Youse, Mary Melaugh,
Donna Nix, Suzanne Costner, Melissa Davis, Virginia Martin, Sheri Zachary, Anne
Oelke, Vicki Reutter, Kay Goss, Joanne Ladewig, and Nancy Dickinson. Thanks!

Great Outdoors series by Capstone Press
Let's Go Hunting and Let's Go Fishing by Suzanne Slade
Complete Guide to Fishing
books by Terry Grosz
Hook, Line, & Seeker by Jim Arnosky
Kids' Incredible Fishing Stories by Shaun Morey
Freshwater Fishing  by Ellen Hopkins (part of Great Outdoors series by Capstone
Press)
Fly Fishing by Ellen Hopkins (part of Great Outdoors series by Capstone Press)
Trapping, Fishing, and Plant Food by Patrick Wilson
The American Boy's Handy Book by Daniel Carter Beard
Teens and Rural Sports: Rodeos, Horses, Hunting, and Fishing   by Roger Smith
Hunting: Have Fun, Be Smart by Jack Weaver
The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea by Sebastian Junger
Opening Day by Susan Bartlett Weber
A Good Day for Ducks by Doug Truax
titles by Krause Publications (www.krause.com<http://www.krause.com>)
titles by Stackpole Books (www.stackpolebooks.com<http://www.stackpolebooks.com>)
magazines such as Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, and Deer & Deer Hunting
Worst Case Scenario guides (different titles in series)
Bowhunting Equipment and Skills by M.R. James
Field & Stream: The World of Whitetail Hunting by Mike Toth
The Ultimate Guide to Small Game & Varmint Hunting by H. Lea Lawrence
Father Water, Mother Woods by Gary Paulsen
25 Years of Deer Hunting by David Schmidt
Guide to Trapping by Jim Spencer
NTA Trapping Handbook
Adventure Fishing by Henry Gilbey
Fishing Made Easy by Wade Bourne
Still Life with Brook Trout by John Gierach
Fishing for Dummies by Peter Kaminsky
Complete Guide to Freshwater Fishing (Creative Publishing)
The Field and Stream Shooting Sports Handbook by Thomas McIntyre
The Best of Field & Stream: 100 Years of Great Writing from America's Premier
Sporting Magazine by J.I Merritt
Bassing with the Best: Techniques of America's Top Pros by Gary White
The Art of Hunting by Norman Strung
Deer & Deer Hunting: A Hunter's Guide to Deer Behavior and Hunting Techniques ed.
by Al Hofacker
Whitetail Hunting by Shawn Perich & Michael Furtman
Field and Stream: Firearms Safety Handbook by Doug Painter
Fundamentals of Bowhunting by Dwight Schuh
The Foxfire Books (Doubleday)

Other suggestions were to contact my state's hunting and fishing agency for
suggestions, use TitleWave to select books with the subjects of  "hunting" and
"fishing", and research through Boy Scouts, Boys Life, the American Rifle
Association, sporting goods stores, and large libraries (adult and juvenile).

Hope these ideas can also help anyone else looking for ideas on the topic of
hunting and fishing.

Sheri Bennink
Librarian
Jenison Christian School