I don't have Twilight in the grade school.  I don't even let my middle schoolers
check it out.  Same thing with Gossip Girl, The IT Girls, and several other books.
My reasoning?  The main characters are all in high school or older.  I have no
problem making my younger kids wait until they are more nearly the age of the main
characters.  This takes care of the "problem" of age appropriate subject matter in
books. It also probably saves me some grief from parents where the "wrong" kid had
the book.  I've said this before.  I put each book where I'm willing to defend it.
Personally, I couldn't defend many of these titles to an unhappy middle school
parent.  If I worked in a public library, I would feel completely differently.
Unfortunately, in a school, parents think we are going to instill "their" values
into their children.  If we cross that line (very squiggly) we find ourselves in
hot water.  I guess what I'm saying is that, if you have to question whether or not
to put a book in the middle/grade school, perhaps you shouldn't. Just my opinion.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Currently reading "The First Part Last"Janet Perry, Prek-12 Librarian Cerro Gordo
CUSD 100, Cerro Gordo, IL perrybros@hotmail.com