Hi,

A couple weeks ago I posted a question about the value of Reading Counts
and got some great answers. Thanks so much. Now the same teachers who have
decided to purchase the software are advocating lexile labels on all the
library books, so kids can "know at a glance whether a book is in their
range or not." While this practice "feels" wrong to me, I can't exactly
explain why to these teachers. This is only my second year as a librarian,
but they have been teaching reading for many years.

I did check the ALA website (an FAQ about this topic is copied and pasted
below) but telling the teachers that I don't think we should label the
books "because the ALA said it's not a good idea" might not be all that
powerful of an argument.

So.... can anyone give me some concrete reasons why I don't (or maybe why
I *do*) want to do this? I am open to your thoughts either way (although I
guess I just presented myself as being pretty anti-labeling...! but I am
truly open to all ideas) Also, if you have any ideas for alternatives or
compromises (these are really super teachers and library supporters and I
don't want to ruin our working relationship), that would be great too.

Here's the ALA commentary,  from
http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offices/oif/statementspols/statementsif/interpretations/qandalabelsratingsystems.cfm

I would like to organize sections of the library using reading level
designations, such as those supplied by Accelerated Reader. Is this okay?

While knowing the reading level of a book can assist library users,
organizing a library via these labels can pose a psychological barrier for
users who do not know their reading level. Many will feel that they should
not utilize those resources.

Users who do know their reading level may feel compelled to only select
resources from their reading level. This will result in users not
utilizing the full scope of the library collection.

Thanks,

 Terry Thomas
School librarian/ Middle school Language Arts teacher
Colegio Internacional Puerto la Cruz
Venezuela
terry.thomas@ciplc.net