I don't advocate telling a child what he or she can check out or bring to class or
the library. I don't have Twilight in my collection, but some children own it and
have brought it. But what I do say is that if they cannot look at a book or
magazine appropriately, they cannot look at/read it in my class. So, when the 4th
and 5th graders discover art books with nudes, or swear words in the dictionary, I
discuss appropriate behavior with them, reminding them that there is nothing
shameful or funny about the human body, and that even swear words are words. If
they continue to snicker, call their friends over to look, and generally create a
commotion, they cannot look at those books while they're in the library with me.

Charlotte Snyder, Librarian
Waldorf School of Baltimore
4801 Tamarind Road
Baltimore, MD 21209