Part of the problem may be that often times teachers have "free reading" as part of
their graded assigments -either as minutes read or AR points - whatever. So strict
guidelines are often given - it has to be a book on one's "level" - no I-Spy for
5th graders as their silent reading choice. Students are allowed a totally "free"
choice for home etc... reading but in class as part of their graded reading it
needs to follow the assigned criteria.

As the librarian I have to support this part of the curriculum even if some
teachers are stricter than others. Exacerbating the problem is that I have 3
campuses so it actually falls onto the paras shoulders to confront teachers who are
too strict - which I am sure doesn't happen as often as I would wish.

APril Johnson
WISD Librarian
Waxahachie, TX