Thank you everyone for your advice on labeling books with lexiles.
Definitely the wisdom of all of you has helped me see how to use labels
and not abuse them. I have decided that I will:

1. Work to make sure that a book's lexile number is available on OPAC
(priority goal),
2. Put lexile numbers *inside* books in light penciling (not-so-priority
goal),
3. Keep working on grabbing kids' interest through booktalks and the like,
4. Work with teachers to ensure that lexiles and Reading Counts quizzes
don't become the be-all and end-all of student reading choices and goals,
and
5. Teach book selection skills and emphasize that checking the lexiles can
be an afterthought not a deciding factor in checking out.

Thanks again for the impromptu tutorial on this topic. I feel like I have
my own wizard-mentor in LM_Net!

Terry Thomas
School librarian/ Middle school Language Arts teacher
Colegio Internacional Puerto la Cruz
Venezuela
terry.thomas@ciplc.net

Original request:

So.... can anyone give me some concrete reasons why I don't (or maybe why
I *do*) want to do this? I am open to your thoughts either way (although I
guess I just presented myself as being pretty anti-labeling...! but I am
truly open to all ideas) Also, if you have any ideas for alternatives or
compromises (these are really super teachers and library supporters and I
don't want to ruin our working relationship), that would be great too.
creates "grocery shopping" for books. It circumvents the catalog.

It also presents an awkward situation for special ed students when
students can see what level is on their book. heck for any student for
that matter.

I have a lot of experience with this as I was a k-12 LMS for 10 years in
an AR school. So glad I'm out of that now.

Reading books only in their range vastly limits reading for
pleasure/enjoyment, etc. I finally got the teachers to allow checking out
a "non-AR" book along with the AR book so they could still enjoy the
wonderful books we had that we didn't have the test for.
is totally wrong. As I previously mentioned, special ed hs students wind
up standing the lower level books and the younger kids ask them why..
I think compromise is very important. Like you said, your reading teachers
are your greatest allies.We have some language arts teachers that are very
strict about the lexile level of the books that their students select. I
have started color coding our books according to lexile range.? I decided
to do this to help the kids. Some of our magnet kids have a very difficult
time finding books in the higher lexile range.

But, I'm also working with our teachers and encouraging them to at a
minimum encourage their students to also check out books for pleasure. I'm
trying to educate our teachers that most books are not written at high
lexile levels.

It is a struggle and it upsets me when a student is not allowed to
check-out a book because of the lexile level, but I think the best
approach is to work with and support your teachers while at the same time
slowly work on changing their attitudes.
At our high school library, we write the Lexile number on the date due
slip inside the front cover. That way, a student can see the level "at a
glance" but it is still somewhat private. From just looking at the outside
cover, no one would know whether the book was at a high or low reading
level. A lot of our teachers require students to read within their Lexile
level, so this makes it less frustrating for the students to see what the
level is, but also allows the student to browse freely through all of our
books to find a title they like. (We also put the Lexile into the catalog
record, and the students can search in our catalog by Lexile level - we
have Destiny.) Having it on the date due slip also makes it easy to remove
should our district go with some other program in the future.? Hope that
helps!
Fountas and Pinnell, creators and advocates of a leveling system similar
to lexile for elementary school age students recommend leveling no more
than 30% of classroom libraries.  Students will not always be selecting
books from a leveled library (such as your school LMC or a public
library), and they need to develop selection skills that allow them to
choose appropriate books. Having experience with a classroom library of
materials that are "just right" books (think "zone of proximal
development") help teach students what it feels like to read and "get" a
book; but they also need to be able to find books independent of this
scaffolding.

Also, students who are well motivated by a subject/author/theme often will
put in the effort needed to interact successfully with a text that is more
challenging.  And don't we all enjoy an occasional light entertainment
read  Visible labeling or organization of library materials often presents
barriers to this, not to mention the potential for embarrassment for
lower-level readers.

That all being said, I have about 35% of the library leveled... in the
catalog.  Any student or teacher may search by the desired Fountas and
Pinnell level (marc tag 526) and get a printout out of all titles that are
at that level - and their shelf level and availability.  We have many
students and staff who take advantage of this- especially around report
card and parent teacher conferences!
_______________________________________
I just went to a workshop given by Lexile, and from what I gather, they
wouldn't suggest labeling the books. Lexiles should be just a range for
students, and the whole purpose for the program is to be used as a tool
for the teachers, not a leveling for the kids. I hope that helps!
NO, NO, NO.  You do not want to label by lexile.  You will have enough
students walk in asking for a 4.5 book with an 850 lexile instead of a
book on dogs, horses, fantasy, etc.  Also, it is a privacy issue.
Students should not be privy to the reading levels of others.  Children
are cruel and often prey on those they perceive to be weaker, less
intelligent, etc.

On a personal note, I have a 7th grade student in spec ed.  He has
always been considered a poor reader and teachers have kept him reading
Berenstain Bear level books.  He has quietly read (in his study strats
class and in the library) all but three of the 4--6th grade level state
award nominee books for Missouri this year.  He would never have been
allowed to check out these books in the elementary where we have RC
because teachers would have considered them too difficult and students
would have told on him before he could meet his teacher at the door.  I
have been trying to get him to read anything for a long time.  He was
never motivated by points but the free latte / hot chocolate I serve to
voters on voting day motivated him to read the first one.  I quiz him on
them every time he comes in.  Is his comprehension perfect?  No.  Is it
adequate?  Yes.  Is it going to lead to bigger and better things?  He
checked out a selection for the 7th--8th grade award today because we
were all out of the 4--6.  Am I bragging?  Just a little bit--even
though I really don't have much to do with it!

The point is visible leveling can be a deterrent to reading.  Label the
book with a sticker that denotes it to be reading counts.  Inside the
back cover, put the lexile, grade level, and points.  Let the students
be responsible for book choice.
I labeled my books last year.  I put a small square label on the back near
the price, ISBN area of the books.  It is discrete enough to satisfy
people worried about others seeing what they are reading.  Frankly, my
students could care less.  I have always put the reading counts label on
the spine of the book underneath the call number.  The print is tiny.  I
use an orange flourescent dot to flag the books with quizes and the label
gives them suggested grade level and lexile.  It is interesting that the
Dear America, Lemony Snicket and Gary Paulsen all have some of the highest
lexiles, but are skinny or look elementary or easy.  Your attitude about
the lableing and how you present it to the students will determine their
feelings.  If we were buying into the online version (can't afford it), I
might remove the orange dots since most books would have quizes, but, then
again, many of the older titles do not have tests available.
Children who read on lower levels might feel stigmatized.
 Teachers tend to count on reading levels and don't expect students to
'stretch' and read something in which they are interested but might be
difficult.
 It's a royal pain to maintain. (and you have added expense of labeling)
 If you label and later decide to 'un-label', the books are a mess.
_______________________________________
Since you are dealing with MS kids, rather than elementary kids, I'd
suggest that you just put a colored dot on the spine of those books for
which you have quizzes. Put the Lexile number and points either on an
inside cover or typed on a spine label.

The main issue about using different colors for different levels is that
kids can tell from across the room what level someone else is reading,
and if that level is significantly below the actual grade level, there
might be some teasing. The other side of that is that all anyone has to
do is note what book the potential target is reading and check the
catalog or wait for the book to be returned. Whether or not that would
be an issue is something that you will have to determine based on your
knowledge of your kids. MS kids can be incredibly cruel to each other,
but on the other hand, they can also be totally oblivious to what is
around them.

Personally, I like our one-color dot system because kids can tell
instantly whether or not a book has a quiz. Once they have the book in
hand they can see whether or not it is close to their Lexile. The
privacy issue is overblown, in my opinion, since few kids really care
what someone else is reading UNLESS it is the currently hot title. The
biggest problem for me with the colored tapes is that I would have to
buy all of those colored tapes, a dispenser to hold them, and then have
a chart on my desk to show what color goes with what range. Since I'm a
bit color-blind anyway, and more than a bit lazy, it is just too much
work for this OM. I'll fight those little dots any day.
I to have been anti lexile label ( some in our district have gone that
route
though- even some of our teachers have had parents label their books in
their own classroom)
However, we now have lexile on our database so most of the books'lexiles
can
be seen by going into the database ( we use alexandria). This is helpful in
getting the kids to be more independent in their usage of library resources
that they should know  and make the lexile people feel good without
labeling
every book.
Everyone now accepts this process here- so hope is on the way for you
too...stick it out
We use lexile ranges also and we don't do AR. We are a brand new school so
when I ordered our books this summer, I had them put the lexile range on
the inside cover of the book. That way a student can open a book and find
out if it is in his/her range but the books are still on the shelf
according to Dewey or ABC order and there is no special labeling on the
outside of the book.

The students all came from schools where the books were arranged by level
so many still ask me to find a book in the their level. I just printed
reports from my cataloging software that divided my books in lexile ranges
and I can look at that report to find a book if a student has to read some
thing on their level. Most of our teachers are not strict about a student
reading on their level all the time so our students can freely choose
books. I've found that most find books on their level anyway. You'll
always have those few 2nd graders that just want the biggest, thickest
book they can find but I try to talk them out of it when I see it
happening. :)

I'm pretty anti-labeling as well. I think children need to find books on
their own and that they are interested in. Most want to actually read the
book so they'll find a book on their level.
I'm not an expert on levelling books but I think the librarians stance is
not to *limit* the child's choice.

 I don't like to say to a child "you can't read this.  You must read that"
  I figure if a child *wants* to read a book,  he should be allowed to
try. Children are not necessarily the best decision makers, but that's a
whole nother thing at the end of my work day.    If a child needs
guidance,  well,  that's why we're the librarians.

With the 100 book challenge program,  which we have in my school,
children are encouraged to read "at comfort level"  or below so that they
won't get frustrated and give up.  I wish we would be teaching them to
make an effort and do some work instead of settling for the easy way, but
that's my bias.

I prefer the personal touch when it comes to recommending books  -
guidance not limits.  There are ways of helping a kid choose an age
appropriate book, such as pathfinders, without making it obvious to
everyone in the room what level he is reading
Probably the best argument is that putting a label on the outside of
the book that identifies reading level results in publicly labeling
the student as well. Think of a big strapping 8th grade boy who
doesn't read all that well carrying around a book with a nice,
bright, prominent label that shows the whole world that he is a poor
reader. You can be sure he will come in frequently to check out more books.

And a recent Texas Attorney General's opinion said:
[snip] violate FERPA (the federal law that says you can't release
"education records" about students either
directly or indirectly).  He said that since it is easy to deduce who
doesn't get to go to the party, the student's failing status (and
hence a protected student record) is revealed.

and the extrapolation that was discussed on the Texas Librarians Listserv:
Under a reading program that requires students to read within their
Lexile range, posting the lexile of the book the student is reading
via an easily visible sticker also releases protected "education
records" -- the student's reading level.

I know you aren't in the States, and thus not subject to FERPA, but
the concept is still valid.

An alternative would be to put the Lexile levels inside the front (or
back) cover. That would preclude someone suggesting that the books be
shelved by level since it isn't on the outside.

I would also be sure those levels are entered in the MARC record so a
student could search by his level (and any other keyword or subject).
It soounds to me as if the teachers aren't aware of the mission of the
school library--1.  support the curriculum, 2. provide material for
leisure/recreational reading.  It is not your mission to make sure that
every book that a student takes off the shelf is 'at their level'. If you
would like to provide lexile levels in the catalog record, or even inside
the cover of the book (and want to go to that trouble) fine. But the
students DON'T need to be pressured into thinking that EVERY book they
pick up and read needs to go toward their Reading Counts score. Good luck!
Well, there is the whole “social stigma” angle. If a student isn’t reading
up to grade level, his or her classmates might notice that according to
the label, that student may be behind the others and give the first
student a hard time. I would suggest, if you really must label, to
consider putting it inside the front cover.
It is the same problem as color coding the AR books.  A student's level
should not be easy to see from the outside.  If you provide the information
inside the book that is better.  Some automation systems have the ability
for lexile searching just as for AR levels.  In SAISD we will add that
module to our system and then students can learn other skills as well as
reading on the appropriate level.
"...knowing the reading level of a book can assist library user,.."  To me
this means that labeling is another aide for the readers.  My school has
80% free/reduced lunch rate which means high poverty.  We have trouble
with children being able to find "a just right" book.  Many want to get a
"big fat" book so they can impress others.  Our compromise  is one book at
their level and one for their interests.  A just right book prevents
frustration in reading.  Labeling colors for  lexile (or other systems) is
a fast assist. I find that our struggling readers make snap decisions
based on covers and may not even look inside to see if their can read it.
Looking only at "their color" of labels helps immensely.

Reorganizing the library by lexile level would be a nightmare.  No longer
would like things be together, authors or subjects.  If a subject is a
true passion, reading level for that area would be higher.  If they can
read one book by an author, they can usually follow the pattern and be
able to read others by the same author.  Call numbers on the spine and in
the catalog would need to be redone if lexile is what your organization
would be.  Very time consuming.  AND what will you do for books that are
not lexiled; for example, poetry.

About ten years ago (maybe more) I, too, resisted labeling reading level.
I have seen the error of my ways.  Students need practice reading at their
independent level to become successful readers.
______________________________________
I write reading levels on the bottom of books near the spine, the kids
don't notice, but if a teacher wants to check, they can look.  I'm in a
5-6 and we try to help guide kids a bit with selections, for assignments
the teachers can see if it's too easy for a kid and also too hard--seems
to work pretty well.
_______________________________________
The response from the ALA website seems, in my opinion, to support the
labeling of books with reading levels. What that statement spoke against
was the categorizing of books on the shelf by levels.

As a reading teacher before moving to the library, it was frustrating for
me to know what was appropriate for my 6th grade students who were reading
on a 3rd grade level, because I did not know the collection in our school
to the point where I could always tell them whether a book was at an
appropriate level or not. I think the important piece of labeling books by
Lexile is to let the teachers know that it is OK for students to read
books below or above their Lexile when they are motivated by personal
interest. These labels are a guide for students and teachers so that they
can find books that students can read successfully, in order to build a
positive reading experience that fosters a love of literature.
Hi, Here is what I do - I include the Lexile score (if available) when I
am cataloging all new books.  When students/teachers look up a book in the
OPAC the Lexile score is available if they want to use it to make a
decision about reading that book.  I don't use it myself when suggesting
books, pullling books for classes etc. unless specifically asked to by a
teacher, but it is there if someone else wants to use it. Good luck!