I was wondering how long your MS and HS libraries were open during the day, what
sort of library classes were taught at this level, and how often those classes met.

This is my first year as a librarian (I'm also the Pre-K through 6 Art teacher).
Our MS has about 70 students and the library is only staffed during the half hour
study hall before lunch and the 45 minute study hall at the end of the day. The HS
has about 120 students and the library is currently being used to house the study
halls, so it's open but not really being used as a library. There are no library
skills being taught, except what their other teachers are showing them. I'm seeing
a lack of skills in the MS and the HS students as far as using reference materials,
the Dewey Decimal system, and how to find the books they want. Because I'm also
teaching Art, I don't have the time in my schedule this year to teach these classes
but would like to be able to justify teaching them next year. I would also like to
be able to justify having more open time in the library.

Any ideas you could give me would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Sara Robisch
District Librarian
Rib Lake School District