Thanks again to everyone who responded! I hope you all have safe and happy holidays.

Original post:

I have a few books in my library that need quizzes; I have suggested them to
Renaissance Learning for quizzes, but no response yet. I want to read them and make
quizzes for them so that my stdents will be able to check them out for AR, as that
is mostly what the library is used for at the moment (yes, I know, not ideal, but
it's an imperfect world).

My question is, what do you use to come up with a reading level when you or a
teacher writes an AR or RC quiz? Do you just pull it out of thin air? Do you base
it on a lexile or other reading level? I'm lost right now.

TIA, and early Happy Holidays,

Readability formula can be found online, and you can calculate it for yourself.
Honestly, I've done this so long I just compare to other books that I've read.  I
also go with my own intent regarding the book.  If I want kids to read it or if I
have an idea who the audience would be in my school I use that as part of my
decision.

If I can't find a reading level on Titlewave or some other site, I type in a
typical passage into Word.  There is a tool that gives a reading level of the typed
passage.

Renaissance Learning has a link so you can receive ATOS Levels for any teacher made
quiz - http://www.renlearn.com/ar/atos.aspx. It only takes about one school day to
receive an answer with levels after you submit the text.

If you are trying to fill in AR quizzes Ren Learn does not have by writing
your own quiz, here is a good reference with full instructions for writing
quizzes including determining the reading levels, etc.

http://www.quizlistinteractive.com/AcceleratedReader_TM.aspx

You probably already have this information, but I recently made two tests for a
couple of books not on AR. I found a link on their website and they sent me an
email with instructions for sending a sample section of the book (which, of course,
I had to type in). The next day they sent me the ATOS level for the book. Here's
the link to the information. http://support.renlearn.com/techkb/techkb/1932254e.asp

Sarah Loch
Librarian
Valley Park Alternative School