Hi,

Thanks to all who responded to my question about Discovery education.

We subscribe to Discovery Education here and the teachers love it. Teachers
on all 3 levels (elementary, middle and high school) use it and find it very
valuable.  There are little technical difficulties if you save the video
clips to a flash drive or burn them to a CD. If you're just streaming the
videos off the internet, of course there will be buffering issues, but once
saved, no problems.

Love it, love it, love it!  Join the DEN - Discovery Educator's Network.  I
get tons of great ideas and webinars and workshop - all for free!

Hi Robin-
My experience with this on whole has been very positive. The number of
titles they offer is increasing all the time and it has been a very
convenient way to direct teachers to appropriate videos (with PPR rights!)
which they can relate to the curriculum. Occasionally I have had difficulty
with the download and some of their titles are a bit outdated (e.g. the
holiday videos) but it is certainly is the way of the future, replacing
those cumbersome TV/VCR/DVD setups and their attendant problems.

 Our teachers love it.  They tell me what they want and I burn it to a DVD
and give it to them.

Hello there,
 I can tell you that, although we are currently paying to use this product,
we can't access it.  Something in the district's filters will not let the
teachers access it, unless they use a different browser other than Internet
Explorer.  Since many of our computers are very slow, and the teachers can't
always load a different browser (Internet Explorer is the only one
pre-loaded on the computers, and to load a different one you'd have to
download it first), this is not a feasible solution.  I don't believe the
tech guys have been successful in solving the block, and it's frustrating to
know that we're paying for something that few teachers can use.
 Just my story!

We had it for two years. Subject coverage was great, video quality was iffy.
It was paid for by a local  education consortium so I had it for free; once
they stopped paying I dropped it because it's so expensive. The teachers
miss it though.

 We had it for 2 years.  The teachers that used it loved it.  We didn't
have enough teachers using it to justify the cost since each year the
price increased.  I could buy a lot of DVD titles for the cost of the
subscription.  We were not allowed to stream during the day as it "ate
up bandwidth", so the teachers had to plan ahead and download to their
computers.

We don't try to stream them, Robin. We burn them to CD, then we're not
subject to the whims of the bandwidth and don't experience delays.
hope this helps.

Happy Holidays,

Robin Metaj
Great Oak Middle School