Richie's Picks: PEELED by Joan Bauer, Putnam,  May 2008, 248p. ISBN:
978-0-399-23475-0

"Baker Polton put his feet on the table, leaned back in his  chair, and read,
'"The long, lonely high school corridors seemed to be filled  with the
whispers of the graduating seniors who had left their marks on us  all."'
"Elizabeth smiled nervously.
"He looked up.  'Did the seniors draw on you with laundry  markers?'
"'Why no...'
"He slashed through her copy, wrote in red, We won't  forget the graduating
seniors.  'Keep it simple, kid.  This is  journalism, not creative writing.'"

Back when I was traversing my own high school  corridors on Long Island in
the early 1970s, I distributed an underground  newspaper called Dog Breath
(apparently named after the  melodic Zappa song) to fellow students at Commack
North.  I  knew that those stacks of newspapers were coming from  someone in the
Huntington area.

(Don't you just love the Internet for being able to track down  all sorts of
weird stuff?)

Since I was preparing to write about a great new  middle school novel
involving truth, justice, and a school newspaper named  The Core, I was fondly
recalling that old underground newspaper  and started looking around online to see
what I could learn  about it (35+ years later).  It turns out to have
apparently  been published by the older brother of a brainy Long Island  kid who
grew
up to invent the Palm Pilot!

"'We've got a bozo who likes rubbing fear and lies in people's  faces.  He's
the only media source in town except us.  Who are we  writing for?'

"Elizabeth raised her hand emotionally.  'The American  people!'
"Baker clasped his brow.  'Let's narrow  that.'
Darrell stood.  'We're writing for the  community.'
"'And they deserve the facts,' Baker warned.  'Don't ever  forget it.'"

There are seriously weird doings in Banesville,  a picturesque community in
upstate New York that has built up  around a core of farms and long-established
apple  orchards .  There have long been rumors that the creepy old Ludlow
place is haunted.  In fact, a young girl died in an accident on the street
right out front five years ago.  Now, one man has been caught trying  to break in
to the old house while another one has been found on the  property -- dead!

And the town's paper run by Pen Piedmont seems to  be going out of its way,
through a series of articles about the incidents,  to heighten the fears
gripping community members:

"The Bee had in-depth coverage of the Ludlow place,  including interviews
with unidentified sources too afraid to come  forward.'
"It's a funny thing how fear grows.  It moves like a  virus, infecting person
after person.
"There wasn't any medicine to stop the epidemic,  either.
"Children were having nightmares about the killer ghost; some  were afraid to
leave their houses and come to school.
"One kindergarten teacher stopped taking her students out to  recess because
several of them said they saw a bad ghost behind a tree on the  playground.
"I remembered my long year fighting fear in eighth grade after  Dad died.
"'Everybody's afraid of something,' Gwen, my therapist, told  me back then.
'And fear isn't always a bad thing, Hildy.  It can  alert us to real danger.'
The operative word, Gwen said, was  real, not imagined.
"Imagined fears are hard to nail down.  For a while I was  afraid every time
my mom would go out that she'd get in a car accident and never  come back.  I
was afraid that I'd never be happy again, I'd always be  crying.  I was scared
that I had a weak heart like my dad and I'd die at  thirty-eight just like he
did."

Hildy Biddle, who has grown up on one of those old apple  orchards in
Banesville, is the hard-working high school reporter who  is at the center of the
action.  She is trying to fill the shoes of  her dead father -- a great
journalist and beloved community member -- while  also attending school and doing
her
share of chores at home.  In the  process of trying to unravel (peel) the
mysteries of the old  Ludlow place, the dead body, and The  Bee's role in  what is
going on, Hildy will come to count on the assistance of the  new kid in town
(Zack) The Core's curmudgeonly new advisor (Baker  Polton), and a town resident
(Minska) who "grew up in Communist Poland and  saw fighting in the streets
when she was a girl":

"'My mother,' Minska said, 'always told me something when I  was going to
give up.  She said, "Sometimes just getting up in the morning  and standing at
the gate can bring the gate down."'"

In an era when community-based agriculture is rapidly  coming to be
recognized as a plus in terms of helping to mitigate the  problems of global
warming
(It cuts down on trucking cardboard-like produce back  and forth for thousands
of miles.), Hildy Biddle's journey into the  challenging world of high school
journalism is an important as  well as a lively and very fun tale about getting
to the truth, saving  farmlands,  and embracing the gift of community.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks