I've been doing this with the Texas listserv for years, and thought..."hey, why
don't I widen my scope and share with MORE librarians out there?"
I LOVE (meaning eat, breathe, and read read read) YA books and mostly high school.
And though I have a blog, it's interesting to note that most adult users still use
email as their primary source of communication and information.  So, here I am with
a first installment of what I think are some of the best YA out there this current
school :

For the Girls:
Guyaholic by Carolyn Mackler
V (short for Vivienne) lives in the cozy town of Brockport with her grandparents.
The thing is, she HATES it!  Living with her mother was much more exciting, even
though it meant moving at least six times in as many years and having to put up
with the different guys her mom hooked up with as well.  V has a philosophy in
life- live for the moment, don’t make commitments, do your own thing.  Trouble is,
she does NOT want to be like Mom.
Then the fateful day a cannonball hockey puck lands her bleeding head into the lap
of Sam.  He’s not like the other guys she’s been with in the past.  He enjoys her
for who she is, flaws and all; he wants to hold hands in public; he tells her he
loves her.
It goes against everything V wants in life, so what does she do?  Ruins it all one
night at a graduation party.  And after Sam leaves, V is miserable.
A cross-country roadtrip to meet her mother (who never lives up to her words) is
what V thinks will solve everything and make her forget Sam.  But will it?
Need a book about relationships?  This is a must read for girls who love to read
about them.  You’ll hate V, love her and hope that it’s not too late for her to
realize what she’s thrown away isn’t garbage, but what every girl wants* Although
this is a sequel to Vegan Virgin Valentine, it can certainly stand on its own.  c.
Candlewick Press, 2007

For the Science Fiction Lover:
Unwind by Neal Shusterman
It's the future and after the second Civil War in the United States fought by the
pro-life and pro-choice armies, things are very very different now.  There is no
abortion, but you can "stork" a baby to another family.  Between the ages of 13-17,
your parents have the right to "unwind" you....

And unwinding isn't a bad thing.  People throughout the world need help, and teens
provide it.  All it takes is a trip to a harvest camp, and your unwinding will help
people see, replace lost limbs, even replace parts of a brain to those with needs.
This is the story of three teens who fight against the system.  Risa has lived in a
state home; Connor has parents who have chosen to unwind him; and Lev has become a
tithe; Their separate stories become one and what they will endure to reach the age
of 18 and freedom.
Although this takes place in the future, history does repeat itself.  Glimmers of
Nazism and the Holocaust as well as the battle between ethics, family life, and
debatable experiments all preface and become the basis of this well-written story
of science, life and justice in the future.  Exceptionally riveting, this is one of
the best books I've picked up this year.  All I can say is wow......  c. Simon &
Schuster, 2007

To Tickle the Funnybone:
For Girls:
They Came from Below by Blake Nelson
Emily and Reese are ready for summer at the beach.  While Emily flies in, Reese is
ready and waiting not only for her best friend, but for romance and parties and
serious time in the sand and surf.  At the same time and hundreds of miles away, a
nuclear warhead has gone off in the deepest part of the ocean.
Little do Em and Reese know that the radioactivity will definitely interrupt their
plans.  Newcomers Dave and Steve show up and they are too good to be true.  Not
only are they drop dead gorgeous, but they are from a foreign country, which is
even sexier, according to the two girls.  Em and Reese are in pursuit, of course in
a nonchalant kind of way.  They are ready for summer romance to begin with Dave and
Steve, even though they do have some weird quirks about them.

The summer get stranger still when the FBI, local police, and scientists (including
Emily's father) descend and find something odd and unexplainable on the beaches of
South Point - and being looking for "it."  And yes - Dave and Steve know what "it"
is....
A fast paced, fun read for teens any season.  Blake Nelson, author of the dark
novel Paranoid Park, has shown his humorous and fun side in this novel.  Girls, get
ready....this is one for you!  c. Tom Doherty Associates, 2007

For Guys:
Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner
Shakespeare Shapiro is a senior. He doesn't have a girlfriend, is embarrassed of
his name(oh ,the stories his parents tell him!); his freshman brother (named
Gandhi) has a better social life than he does...and his life is pretty pathetic,
according to him.
Not only that, his best friend is fascinated with bowel movements and his other
friend Katie lives to be condescending.
This book takes you through his senior year until graduation where you not only
read about his life in "real time" but get to experience his past through a memoir
project he must finish for English.
Excellent beginning, middle and start. Be prepared...this is definitely a guy book
and guy humor abounds!!!

Realistic Fiction:
Deadline by Chris Crutcher
Ben is a star cross-country athlete.  He has the build for it * long, lanky, and
135 pound soaking wet.  His brother is also a star athlete, but in a different,
quarterback, good-looking kind of way.  But this doesn’t get between the brothers.
The loves of his life?  His vintage truck (one he publicly displays) and Dallas
Suzuki (and no*it’s not a car dealership in Texas) his private crush on the most
beautiful girl in school.
But his athletic physical will change everything.  After the routine exam, Ben
finds out he has cancer and will die in a year.  His reaction?  Live life and do
what he never thought he would.  That includes helping the local town drunk become
someone, hooking up with Dallas, and being on the varsity football team.
His one condition he makes his doctor swear by * he will not tell anyone, including
his father, his manic depressive mother or his brother about the condition.  But
when life begins to get better and being honest has become critical in his
relationships, Ben realizes that hiding his secret might be the most painful thing
he could have ever done.
Funny, heart-wrenching*you’ll cheer for Ben and hope he’s doing the right thing.
This is a book that will make you think, “Would I do the same thing if this were
me?”  Crutcher is at his best with this book.   Part of the 2008-09 TAYSHAS list.
c. HarperCollins
I have SO MUCH MORE, but a little bit here and there : )  These came straight off
my blog, so enjoy!
Naomi Bates
Northwest High School
nbates@nisdtx.org