Good morning all!

I just read Sandy's email about helping a staff member's son with an assignment,
and it got me thinking about some of the requests I've had this week at my
elementary school library.  1) Please order the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer
for my daughter because there's too long a wait at the public library.  2)  I need
a print out of the Abby Hayes books (the teacher subsequently interrupted a class
to ask me to pull them all for her daughter, whose own school library doesn't carry
them.)  3) I need websites for my high school son's homework assignment.

My responses were 1) The Twilight series isn't age appropriate for our library, but
you can borrow my daughter's copies.  2)  I usually ask the students to only check
out 2 of the more popular series at a time so others can read them.  3)  I'll see
what I can find, but the high school has a teacher librarian who is much more
knowledgeable about websites for high schoolers (and much more likely to tell your
son to do his own research and not have you doing the work for him.)

Should I just keep quiet and be happy they see me as a resource?  These requests
didn't take any time, but there are times when I spend a half an hour or more
researching things that are not related to anything going on here at school.    I'm
sure someone here has a diplomatic way of drawing the line.

***I apologize in advance for my district's filters, and ask that if your response
bounces to please not take it personally.  My home email is MClark2105 at aol dot
com. ******

Thanks in advance!

Mary

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.
Frederick Douglass

Mary Clark
Library Media Tech I
La Costa Meadows Elementary School