>I missed out on your original target, but would like to offer another
idea:  This year, I plan on offering an incentive for responsible
students.  For example, if students turn in books and pay all fines by a
certain date, they will be entered in a drawing for a $25.00 gift card to
a large book store chain.  I used this idea as a reading incentive at
Christmas break to boost circulation.  Students were entered if they
checked out a book for holiday reading.  I had two grand prize winners and
three consolation winners (who received small candy items).  It had a
great response from the students.

Cora Huggins
Librarian
Centerville Jr/Sr. High School
Centerville, TX 75833
chuggins@centerville.k12.tx.us

 My original request was for ideas to get students to pay off their lost
> book charges before the end of the year.
>
> Overall, most people said they restrict or stop checkout until charges
are
> paid or the book returned. We can't do this, as our district policy is
that students check out regardless. This came down from higher up and
was
> because students were using the lost books to avoid having to check out
anything to read.

> Other ideas were:
> Holding mid-term report cards
> In-library detention, esp. at lunch
> "Private dining" (lunch by yourself)
> No attendance at dances
> Blocking computer passwords for individuals until charges are paid
Calling parents

adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu In
the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL