This is the hardest thing about library service in schools!  I'm the
only adult in my school library in the a.m. and I will sometimes have
well over 75+ students! They are, indeed there to socialize and to
stay out of the cold. I have, however, decided that the way I work it
is to allow mornings to be socialization time,[they get to play games
on the computers,hang out in small groups etc.]  and break, lunch and
after school to be school work, quiet study and homework time. It
works for me.  Mostly. On cold days it's still full at lunch, but I
try to keep the numbers down, don't let kids stand in groups and all
the regular things that we do to keep some sense of order.  By having
the morning 'open', it seems to take away from the 'mean lady'
approach.  I  always say: "lunch is for quiet work, before school is
for socializing. Many kids want to get their homework done before
school is out, so we're quiet"  Again, mostly.  It's never really
quiet in a middle school library. And I always hope for sun.

What I'd like to know, along with this question is how do the folks
who provide food [ala SLJ's article about library cafes] keep the
numbers down and the place quiet?  Maybe it's better at a high
school.  Thanks for asking this question, Sandra. I too, would like
to hear how others do it. Anyone successful?

Connie

Connie Williams
Teacher Librarian
National Board Certified