Hate to be negative, but in a world where we read about kids being devastated by
cyberbullying, why do we encourage kids to read Shredderman?  Do we really want
them to think, "having trouble with a bully?  Just create a website and try to
humiliate him"?  Especially when the teacher in the book encourages it.  I think
there's better ways to teach kids to deal with bullies.

Ron Wagner
Teacher-Librarian
Felida Elementary School
Vancouver, WA
ron.wagner@vansd.org

>>> Andrea Koch <kochandrea@MSN.COM> 2/4/2008 12:20 PM >>>
Thanks so much to all who suggested books!
If anyone else has additional ideas, please let me know and I will post the final
list on the LM_NET wiki.

Perfect Man, a picture book, is about a boy who always wanted to be like his TV
hero, Perfect Man. Perfect Man decides to retire from the business and the boy is
really disappointed, but continues to believe that Perfect Man will return. The
surprise is that his teacher, a very unlikely Perfect Man ends up being Perfect Man
in disguise and inspires the boy to become an author.

I am reading aloud "The miraculous journey of Edward Tulane"  to my eager 4th
graders, and Edward actually becomes --- surprisingly --- heroic and compassionate.

"No Talking" by Andrew Clements, in which competing boys and girls stage a
no-talking contest, and the boy stands up for his right to remain silent. Actually,
any of Clements' 5th-grade-related books wuld be excellent read-alouds with
excellent character lessons quietly woven in, and with students working alongside
teachers.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, Book 1: The Hero Revealed.

"A View from Saturday" by Konisburg

Shredderman by Van Draanen

Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix.  -  not really a surprise hero but
the setting is a surprise.

The Hero of Third Grade by Alice DeLaCroix about a third grade new comer who sees
the movie
the Scarlet Pimpernel and is motivated to help out his classmates against
the class bully but doing it secretly at least in the beginning.

UnLunDun by China Mieville is one of my favorite books.  It turns the "chosen one"
theme of Golden Compass/Harry Potter/Narnia on it's head. It's very funny. SLJ
gives it a recommendation for grades 5-9, there is some (fantasy) violence. For the
right student, I highly recommend it but I suggest she read it first to make her
own judgement.

Sincerely,

Andrea Koch
French Road Elementary School