Dear Netters,.
I've been spoiled.  Or at least that's how it feels now.  For a
number of years, and up until last year, I had an incredible
volunteer who took all the books with no processing home and covered
both dust jackets and paperbacks.  And I had volunteers for most of
the classes, sometimes two at a time, so one could do other book
processing jobs.  Now not only do I have any regular volunteers who
can do the book processing part, I have very few volunteers period.
As many as half my classes have no volunteer, so I need to do
check-in and check-out and end the day with the return cart full to
bursting.

So I have three shelves packed with books that need processing and
will not get onto the shelves this year.  Here's the question:
Should I give up on quality processing (as in covering the paperbacks
with laminate), and just cover the barcode and spine label and put
them on the shelves?  IN this scenario, what would be a fast way to
do the ones with dust jackets?  (I've already taken off the dust
jackets of the books with the same front cover as the dust jacket.)

We are also desperate for substitutes.  I was out last week and it
seems they had to have teacher aides covering for me.

All suggestions and comments welcomed.
Johanna
--
Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (K-4)