Wow what a response and so many great ideas and suggestions have been sent my way.
I thank each and every one of you who took the time to reply. Thank you Thank you!
My original request is below followed by all of the replies without names.

This year I've had the library open before school (25 min.) starts for anyone who
wants to come. The number of students who take advantage of this has grown. (up to
about 30-40). Most of them however, are only in there to socialize or play Study
Island games. I am the only adult in the library at this time. I have some student
volunteers to help run the circ desk so I can monitor the computer use and the
students congregating among the shelves but I really have to help them as well.My
question is, how do I keep the students quiet and in their seats so the ones
actually there to work/study can get anything done, without limiting access or
becoming the shushing librarian? Suggestions?

I have kind of the same situation. I tell the kids if they don't sit down and
occupy themselves they are subject to being sent back to the cafeteria. If students
don't follow the rules they end up being "grounded" from the library and I don't
let them come before school for a day or a week (my decision!). Sending a few back
has usually been enough to let them know I'm serious.And yes, the majority of my
students come in to play games and socialize as well! But sometimes I can suck them
into the world of books while they are there!Good Luck, I'd love to hear what
others have to say as well...

I don't even try to keep the kids quiet! My library is quite large and kidswho need
to work can find a reasonably quiet place to do so. Otherwise the30 min. before
school is purely social and all about the computers. I dolimit the amount of kids
who can come in - I use AR points to determine whogets a pass. I usually have about
30 or so, expect at lunch when I haveabout 50Granted I am in an elementary school
so my situation is a bit different.

Please post a hit on this! I would love to open my library in the morning, but I am
only one person with no aide. My principal has said unless I am the person doing
the check-out, we cannot hold the students' responsible for materials and since the
School Board demands someone be responsible, guess who will have to pay for lost
books? That's right, me. So no students at the circ desk.Please let me know what
you come up with!

I have the same problem. What I have done which helps a little is have the library
open to students in grade 5 on Monday, 6th grade on Tuesday, 7th on Wed. and 8th on
Thursday. On Friday I let whoever wants to come. I don't like this because there
are some who really need to come in for homework or research. I will make an
exception if I see they are sitting there working quietly. I have had to say the
library is full before because so many students are in there. There is a safety
issue at times when there are so many. My library is L-shaped and of course the
computers are where they cannot be seen from the circ desk. I have to make ID's for
students who have forgotten theirs or who need new ones. They must come in before
8:00 so at times I am stuck behind the desk. If you hear of any solutions, please
post a HIT.

Don't! The kids that are working will keep working. Remember these are the people
that do their homework in front of the TV or with music blaring. I too have the
library open before school, by myself, not even students to help I have 20 or so in
the computer lab and 30 to 40 in the library. At lunch it is even more. I see the
readers sitting at tables by themselves, and they do not seem to be bothered by the
talkers. Kids are up and moving, I do not let them sit on the tables and I will
shush the really loud groups when they first get started, second warning the whole
group goes out. Happens once or twice at the beginning of the year and then only
have to remind once, that they probably do not want me to hear their conversations
clear across the room. And rough-housing gets the whole group ejected. When sending
away I always say try again tomorrow, or see you tomorrow so they know they are
welcome back. On really cold days this winter, if I get a bunch of students from
classes needing computers, my lunchers are really good about logging off and giving
up their space, they go out into the library then. Before school they can be
finishing their coffees or breakfasts and have their iPods. Not at lunch, we have
split lunches, some of the kids in the facilities could actually be from class, so
no food and no music, those things according to school rules are only allowed
outside. Be happy that that many students have picked the library as the place to
be! Enjoy them, wander and talk ask questions peek over their shoulders in the lab
and ask what they are surfing for? Give suggestions and be interested. It is
amazing the PR. I am even the one that has the URL memorized for one of the game
sites, they come and ask me! I have a few that will step up and help with checkout
if I am busy, they are so wonderful and caring. These same kids know how to be
quieter in the library during class time, they smile and say hi, they even will
check out books; oh, and they are reading them! I get to read the stories they
write, they ask me about their spirit week outfits; I was the official tie-tyer the
other day. Enjoy them, do not make yourself the grump! If I do have to get after a
group, I will say something to the effect that if they want to make me the boss of
them I will do it, or the babysitter or whatever comes out. They can do the right
thing, or they can be sent out.

We have our library open in the morning before classes begin, from 8:00 to
8:30.Students are required to have a pass from their first block teacher. So they
have to ask someone if they may come to the library. In Virginia, if we opened it
up with no criteria we would be swamped, especially on the cold days. We are still
very busy, the students are checking out, returning and paying fines, picking up
printing, and using the computer for class work.

I, too, have the library open before school. It is THE place for kids tocongregate
and wait for classes to begin. I usually have 60+ in a veryconfined space. They are
loud and social. In the mornings, I walk around,saying hello, visiting, and
checking to make sure that there is no oneeating breakfast. They can have drinks
but no food. The kids seem to enjoybeing in there and those who really want to
study find a way to do it. Ithink that they can study with more noise around them
than we can. I havetwo tables that are isolated for quiet study and some kids use
my officefor quiet reading. After the bell rings, those who are using it for
theirfree period must sit down, quiet down to low volume voices, and at leastlook
like they are studying. Keeping the library study-conducive and quietbefore school
is not a hill I am willing to die on. Now after the bellrings, that is another
story. When the weather gets better, a lot will beoutside anyway.

I'm interested to see the responses to this one! I had the same problem and ended
up only having the library open on Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays. Tuesday and
Thursdays are reserved for club meetings(FCA, NHS, etc). I hate that I can't open
it every morning before school, but I just don't have the "man power" to monitor
everything that's going on.

After two years of persistance, I have a very quiet study time in the library all
day long. I just made a copy of the simple library rules, including whispering only
and "if the librarian can hear you, you are not whispering." I had to be strong and
send even students who are generally great kids, and send them out if they could
not be quiet. Even when there was no one else their but their group and they said,
"but, there's no one else here." I simply stared at them in awe, and they finally
realized I counted as well. It really was worth the effort, because I rarely have a
problem.

I had that problem at a previous high school. Unfortunately I had to set a limit on
number of students allowed into the library. I gave passes to person on duty, when
those ran out, no one else could come in.You might try limiting the number of
students per table. Ask principle for an extra paraprofessional

I call before school "Mime time" and try to keep things as near silence as possible.

I have the same problem. This is what I do and it works somewhat. If a student is
breaking a rule, no matter how small, they have to leave and go to study hall in
the cafeteria. If I have to send them out more than two mornings, they cannot come
back since they do not know how to follow the rules. I try to limit the morning
crowd to those with assignments and if it gets too noisy, I send them to study
hall. Since it is only you in the mornings, you may have to limit the number of
students that are allowed to come in. I think for the Middle School/Junior High age
group, it is impossible to keep them quiet and on task, you just have to strive for
quieter and mostly working.

Why not send the ones out who are there for non-library reasons, if they present a
disruption to those who are studying?

It might not work too well this year. Habits already have been formed and now it
might now work to create the rules. I would just create the expectations and
procedures that are necessary. I have lots of students who enjoy coming to the
library during their recess time. It was becoming a mad house and I tried to rein
them back in line. It didn't work too well and I was forced to stop "library during
recess" experiences. The next school year though I set up the expectations and
procedures. It was a simple list of behavior that was acceptable during this time.
It was classroom mtg really, and when students are too loud they are asked to
leave. Most students have quickly learned that this isn't the place they want to be
or the fall in line and abide by the rules. Students usually visit quietly with
friends, read or help one another with homework.

OH Sandra, this sounds so familiar.I used to teach HS. I finally put up a BIG sign
that said 3 strikes and you're out.It didn't take long for the "socializers" to
realize that I meant it. My library was usually full, but with kids trying to get 4
hours of homework done in 20 min.PS. Watch out for students copying from each other.

This is the hardest thing about library service in schools! I'm the only adult in
my school library in the a.m. and I will sometimes have well over 75+ students!
They are, indeed there to socialize and to stay out of the cold. I have, however,
decided that the way I work it is to allow mornings to be socialization time,[they
get to play games on the computers,hang out in small groups etc.] and break, lunch
and after school to be school work, quiet study and homework time. It works for me.
Mostly. On cold days it's still full at lunch, but I try to keep the numbers down,
don't let kids stand in groups and all the regular things that we do to keep some
sense of order. By having the morning 'open', it seems to take away from the 'mean
lady' approach. I always say: "lunch is for quiet work, before school is for
socializing. Many kids want to get their homework done before school is out, so
we're quiet" Again, mostly. It's never really quiet in a middle school library. And
I always hope for sun.What I'd like to know, along with this question is how do the
folks who provide food [ala SLJ's article about library cafes] keep the numbers
down and the place quiet? Maybe it's better at a high school. Thanks for asking
this question, Sandra. I too, would like to hear how others do it. Anyone
successful?

Don't know if you have the student and/or faculty interest, but years ago when I
was in a middle school, a small group of kids came in several mornings a week to
listen to one of our English teachers read to them before school started...sort of
an auditory book club.
Hope you get some other good suggestions.

Crowd control is very important... Have you tried recruiting some parents?

I too, have our library open every morning from 7:55-8:35. Last year was quite
chaotic - I was the only one there, students mostly played computer games and
socialized pretty loudly. Supervising took all my time and I couldn't really serve
students who wanted to use the library to find books or do homework.
This year, we have different procedures. Another teacher has been added to Library
Duty and she supervises while I run the circ desk and help students locate
materials. We don't allow computer games in the morning. Students are allowed to
play board games (chess, Mancala, Connect 4) as long as they are seated and quiet.
They are not allowed to socialize in the stacks, but can quietly talk as long as
they're seated at tables, in chairs, or bean bags.
Our library is small and 50 students, max, fills it up. When we get to that point,
we put signs on the doors that we are full and to try again tomorrow. The
atmosphere is much calmer and I think students like it as well. Hope this helps.

If you find out, let me know. I have 9-12, open 35 min before school,except Mondays
when we have late start and it is 1 hour. We can get up to120 (140-150 if it is
rainy/cold) students and it is just two of us. Ihave asked and asked for
assistance, but this does not seem to be apriority for admin.

We have instituted a one student per table rule unless two are obviously studying
quietly together. I know it may affect some attitudes toward the librarian, but
others have benefited from the opportunity to study and read. We try to keep them
separated while in the shelves…the circular shape of our shelving with the shelves
arranged like spokes is truly hard to manage. After a couple of warnings, students
are asked to leave and not return for the rest of the week. We don’t allow games on
the computers either. We really do sound mean, but we are a campus of about 1800
students and just do the best that we can. I guess what I’m trying to say that just
coming in to visit or play hasn’t worked for us. If you get some good ideas, let me
know.

The way our campus is constructed, we are able to limit the number of students who
enter per campus door, as I, too, am the only adult in the library. In addition, I
don't always have student vounteers who show. If it does get a bit noisy, I just
have to send students back outside. I don't consider it limiting access; it's their
actions that decide their choice of where to be before school.

I average 40-55 students daily during lunch (2 periods) and about 30 before school.
From the beginning, I expected near silence. Only a tiny bit of whispering is
allowed. Anyone who continues to talk is sent back to the cafeteria. Also, unless
students are here to check out a book, they are required to bring something to do -
- homework, reading a book, newspaper, or magazine or computer work which must be
research only. This does not have to be related to school work - for example, lots
of girls are "researching" prom dresses right now. But, no games, chat rooms or
email are allowed. I emphasize that the atmosphere in the library is academic. I
think my numbers are growing because the students really appreciate having a quiet
place in which to do their work. Maybe if you post your rules and enforce them
strongly, before too long, students will abide by the rules. Coming to the library
during free time is a priviledge which must be earned with good behavior. By the
way, I'm in a 9-12 high school and the student population is around 600 and I do
not have any help from aides, etc.

Could you post whatever suggestions you receive? I had this exact same problem and
ended up having to resort to the being the shushing Nazi. I HATE it and would be
very grateful for any advice you can pass along. I wan them to enjoy being in the
library, but my kiddos who have class work to complete need be successful too!

I am in a hs situation. We are open each morning for an hour before classes begin.
When I first arrived, we noticed the same things going on that you describe. We
then began asking students to leave the computers and allowing only one student per
computer (no hanging out, looking over shoulders, etc.) We also tell students the
computers are for completing classwork. Other students who came in and just wanted
to socialize were told that the library was the only spot in the school where
someone could just come in and be quiet, study, think, read, look at magazines.
That if they wanted to chat, they could do that in other areas, particularly the
"commons." After a couple of years, the chatters have migrated to the commons, and
we are having anywhere from 25-55 (depending upon assignment dates) coming in. The
computers are being used for word processing and ppt production primarily, and we
have a number of students coming and working on their projects, accessing the
catalog, pulling items, using the databases. We had to be consistent and patient,
but these students really appreciate being able to have a place to go, and not
having the social din constantly attacking them.

We have 30-60 kids every morning & some of those kids do consider us the "shushing"
librarians (and the "ID Nazis"), but they love us & come back anyway! About 1/2 of
the kids are in the library to work on assignments, read, or use the computers; and
because they deserve a quiet place to work, I try to keep the noise level down. The
only group that we have that are "rowdy" on a regular basis are our Anime Club
kids. They like to "hang-out" in the manga section or around tables where they are
playing cards. We are constantly telling them to please sit down & lower the noise.
If they're in a good mood they comply without any fuss. On their "off" days, they
fuss; but are back the next morning.
There are 3-4 adults in our library most mornings; two of whom are busy at the circ
desk.
I know this doesn't answer your question for strategies other than "shushing"; but
to let you know that keeping them quiet might not mean that they won't come back!

If you want a study hall experience and a quiet place for students to work, then
post these rules and/or hand them out. Then reinforce them by sending students back
to the cafeteria (or wherever they would be) if they don't follow the rules. You
may have a smaller number of kids, but they will be the ones who will be reading or
studying. You might think about having a book club or a computer club one day a
week to provide some direction -- if you feel this would help. On that day, only
students who have read a certain number of pages in a selection and/or short story
would be allowed in.
For the computer usage, I would suggest a note from a teacher that states the
student's assignment. You can even give the students a brief, small form ahead of
time that the teacher just checks off. This doesn't take much of their time, and it
allows you to knock off so much of the computer monitoring. If the student gets off
task, they will need to leave the library. If you have a LOT of computer problems,
just turn off the computers. Or else keep a small number on that you can easily
monitor. If students don't have an assignment on a computer, a large number of them
will simply play games, watch rap videos or other videos or listen to music.
Whether you want to allow this or not depends on your district and local building
rules.
Some librarians will say they want kids in the library no matter what they are
doing, but in a middle school, 30 to 40 kids is a lot. I can see the need for a
quiet place for some to study.
Here is an alternative idea... maybe make the library a quiet place before school
for 4 days a week, and then on Friday, have an anime club where they watch anime or
something like that. You do have to be careful about copyright, so it would be
helpful if your school would purchase the license from Movie Licensing for public
showings. It doesn't cover all videos, but it gets a lot of them. I am not sure
about the anime stuff.
Movie LIcensing is not cheap. I think it can be as much as $400 a building.
Or maybe you can think of an idea that allows a little more noise some of the time,
but that provides a quiet place the rest of the days..
Just a thought.

I am open at lunch and keep it under control by NOT letting the students use the
computers unless they have a note from a teacher and an assignment. I check every
five minutes to see their history, and going off topic means leaving the library
immediately. Anyone in the library has to have something in their hands to read.
People standing up have to be looking for something to read and find it pretty
quickly. They have to get a note from a teacher to come in the first time, then
after good behavior the first visit I make a permanent and laminated pass with
their name and homeroom teacher. They have to sign in with name and homeroom
number. ANY loud behavior gets them removed, pleasantly, after the first warning,
because they of course can be loud when it's their free time, but not in the
library. They are allowed to try again after skipping a day to think about it. I
have really good behavior even from kids who are usually in the dean's office, and
I also provide an excellent selection of kid magazines and a comfy corner to read
them. What's wrong with shushing is not that you are less their friend, you are not
their friend, it is that the situation should not require that much energy from
you. Save it for your other work, that is tiring enough!

Our library opens at 8:00 AM, and the kids are allowed to come in until the 8:30
bell. From day one, the kids know that they are welcome in the library before
school, but they come with the understanding that it is a quiet place to read or
study AND once they are in the library, they are there until the bell rings. No one
is allowed to leave unless they have a pass from a teacher for tutoring, etc. If
there is excessive chatting, I give a couple of gentle reminders that they are to
reading, and if the problem persists, I say something like: "It seems that you have
a lot to talk about, so perhaps you need to stay outside tomorrow morning, so you
can chat. You are always welcome to come to the library in the morning, but we must
keep it quiet for the people who want to read and study." The kids are very
respectful of each other, and that usually solves the problem. My assistant and I
follow the same rules; we don't talk loudly or excessively. I also play very quiet
classical music; it kind of sets the tone. I remind the kids firmly, but gently,
when they are chatting too much. When they are talking, I always ask them, first,
if they are studying. If the answer is yes, then I tell them to speak very softly -
I don't need to hear them across the room. If they say no, then I remind them that
they are to be reading. Sometimes, on Fridays, I put out chess and checker sets on
the tables. They play very quietly. I think it really is a matter of expectations.
I expect the kids to behave in a certain manner, and they generally rise to that.
Of course, it is much easier to do that from the beginning, but you can still get
control. Just before the bell one day, call their attention to you and just tell
them how it's going to be. If they want to comply, they are welcome to come to the
library. Remind them that you understand they want to chat, and that outside is the
best place to do that where no one will hassle them about the noise. Of course, the
bottom line is that I have superior administration support. That makes all the
difference. Hope this helps-

We have teachers help with duty in the library before school. Their job is to keep
the students seated and relatively quiet. It works well

I am at a 6th grade campus, and I don’t believe you are going to keep your sanity
unless you try something like I have done. Our students have a choice in the
morning as to where they can go before school. They may go to the cafeteria to eat
breakfast and visit; they can go to the gym and visit; or they can come to the
library if they want a quiet place to read, study, or finish homework before
school. There are teachers on duty in the gym and cafeteria, and most days I have 1
teacher with me on duty in the library.
I make it very clear from the first day of school that the library is not where you
choose to go if you want to visit with your friends. Students may work on an
assignment together if they keep their voices low. Otherwise, there is no talking.
Everyone is expected to be reading or studying quietly.

It is the students’ choice, and many choose the quiet place in the morning. In
fact, due to limited space, I have to put out a “closed sign” when we are full, and
some students are turned away. It is great to see a room full of children who have
chosen to come to the library in the morning to have a quiet place to read or
study. There are students who need this option. I think it is our duty to provide
this for them.

It is a fine line to walk, but you have to have a few rules or it will be bedlam. I
do not allow students to congregate in bunches, as that leads to noise and
problems. If they are not looking for a book, the rule is 4 to a table, everyone
sitting down. If they are looking for a book, they must do it individually or with
one friend—no clumps of students. Clumps of students aren’t looking for books, they
are socializing. Absolutely no talking is allowed at the computers, as some
students are testing. I have an aide now, but I have done it by myself for 2 or 3
years without student helpers. We do have chess and checker sets, and they are
allowed to play those games, but they must do so quietly. We have many students who
come down here to find a quiet spot to read or do homework, so noise control is
essential. I give students one warning, and then they are required to leave. Get
your bluff in early. If you are consistent with enforcing a few rules, you should
be able to control the crowd with few problems. While you want the library to be a
welcoming place, you do not have to tolerate students who are making the library
too noisy for those who want to read or work on their homework. I do allow quiet
socialization among those seated at the tables, but I just tell them, if you cannot
socialize quietly, go somewhere else.Sandra Carswell, Librarian S.C. Lee Junior
High School 1205 Courtney Lane Copperas Cove, TX  76522 254-542-7877
sandracarswell@hotmail.com sandraca@ccisd.com