Richie's Picks: TRACKING TRASH: FLOTSAM,  JETSAM, AND THE SCIENCE OF OCEAN
MOTION by Loree Griffin Burns (Scientists in  the Field series), Houghton
Mifflin, 2007, 58p. ISBN: 0-618-58131-6

"Mr. Thompson calls the waiter, orders steak and baked  potater
But he leaves the bone & gristle & he never eats the  skins.
Then the bus boy comes & takes it, with a cough  contaminates it
As he puts it in a can with coffee grounds & sardine  tins.
Then the truck comes by on Friday & carts it all  away
And a thousand trucks just like it are converging on the  bay."

Perhaps the dumping of garbage into the bay is not quite as  blatant today as
it was back in 1969 when Bill Steele  wrote his eco-ditty, "Garbage," but it
seems that today's  never-ending flow of plastic garbage into the oceans is of
more dire  and destructive consequence to the oceans' long-term  survival
than anything they've previously faced.  This is one of  the conclusions to be
drawn from the fascinating and  important TRACKING TRASH: FLOTSAM, JETSAM, AND
THE SCIENCE OF OCEAN  MOTION.

Who knew that beachcombers kept meticulous logs of their finds  or that they
actually held conventions?  Dr. Curtis Ebbesmeyer, an  oceanographer who began
his widely-publicized work with ocean currents and  tracking trash when his
mom asked him to figure out why hundreds of  sneakers had begun washing up on
beaches near Seattle,  has uncovered significant clues through his ongoing
communications with beachcombers.  We learn in TRACKING TRASH that there  are
slight changes year to year in the oceans' currents and that projections of
those current flows is now a well-refined science whose origins harken  back to
scientific work by Benjamin Franklin.

The first part of TRACKING TRASH is especially  entertaining to read.  Huge
cargo containers periodically fall  from enormous cargo ships in big storms.
The cargo gets loose and takes  off with the currents.  Many readers will be
amused by the  thought of eighty thousand Nike sneakers drifting eastward in the
 currents, of twenty-nine thousand rubber duckies and froggies bobbing
merrily along, or of five million LEGO pieces breaking loose in the middle  of the
Atlantic.  But the incidents of lost cargo are a drop in  the bucket; they're
less than one-fifth of the problem.  The remainder, the  more serious story,
is of large quantities of garbage -- so much of it  plastic-based -- getting
flushed out of rivers and bays into the  sea.

Having fond memories of creating "whirlpools" with  friends in little
backyard swimming pools, it is not surprising to  learn that when a stream of
indestructible plastic garbage is  continually dumped into the ocean, it will
eventually come together in a big  bobbing mass surrounded by circulating currents.

What  is impressive (or, more likely, alarming and depressing) is  that a
so-called Garbage Patch in the Pacific is now as big as the state of  Alaska and
estimated to be composed of the accumulation of six BILLION pounds of  plastic
this, plastic that, and plastic everything  else.

"What happens to this plastic trash during the decades it  floats around the
Garbage Patch?  Not much, because plastic is one of the  most indestructible
materials on the planet.  This is one of  the reasons we find it so useful.
Plastic is found in everything,  from the toys we play with to the plates we eat
from, the cars we drive, and  even the clothes we wear.
"Unfortunately, the very property that makes plastic a useful  material for
all these items makes it virtually impossible to get rid of.   There is no
organism anywhere on the planet that can digest plastic.  A  long exposure to
sunshine, wind,, and waves will eventually break plastic  objects into smaller and
smaller pieces of plastic, but those small pieces are  still made entirely of
indestructible, indigestible plastic.

And when birds and marine mammals get mixed up with all of  this plastic they
die.

"Bottle caps and disposable lighters are seen in the carcasses  of sea birds
found on beaches from Hawaii to Washington.  Apparently  the birds are
mistaking floating plastic for food.  Many of these birds die  of starvation
because
the plastic filling their stomachs can be neither  digested nor excreted.
Discarded fishing nets  and other fishing gear can tangle and drown fish, sea
turtles, seals, and other  animals.  Experts now estimate that the number of
marine mammals in the  Pacific Ocean that die each year due to plastic ingestion
and net entanglement  approaches 100,000."

This particular passage in the well-illustrated book is  accentuated with a
photo of a dead, rotting bird complete with the fifty-nine  plastic pieces that
were stuck in its gut.

The immediate solution?  Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.  If  plastic bags are so
indestructible, then I shouldn't take one unless I'm  going to reuse it numerous
times and then recycle it.  Long term,  there is no question that big changes
must be made in terms  of manufacturing and consuming so much petroleum-based
plastic  stuff.

"There's nothing left to watch & there's nothing left to  touch
There's nothing left to walk upon & nothing left to talk  upon
And nothing left to see & nothing left to be but  Garbage!"

As with other books I've read in the Scientists in the Field  series,
TRACKING TRASH reveals the profiled scientists to be pretty  cool people with
extremely interesting jobs.  It'll definitely inspire  interest by readers in
science.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com