Hello

Thank you to everyone who suggested fantasy books for my magic carpet travel series
for 2nd grade.  So far it's going pretty well.  I ended up buying some net fabric
with silver stars for the magic carpet - and taping it to the carpet in the
library.  We play a selection from The planets by  Holst, Gustav, 1874-1934. as we
close our eyes to travel to the world of fantasy.

The first book I read was about fairies - I read The Old Woman Who Lived in the
Vinegar Bottle - which was excellent.  I also had the kids take a sheet back to
their classrooms to write one sentence about what they liked about the story.

Now I'm on the 2nd week and I read Harry on the Rocks about a dragon.  It went
pretty well - although I wish I would have taken the time to look at lots of
different dragon books - perhaps the New Puff the Magic Dragon (my childhood
favorite).  I'm not having them write this week - but hope to have them write again
next week.

I'll probably continue this for at least 2 more weeks.  It fits in well with
special things I do for other grades - 1st grade we travel around the world to
different continents and 3rd grade we're going on a time machine. I just need to
make sure I spread these things out because the prep takes a while.

Here are the suggestions I received from LM_NET - Thanks everyone

Kristine Wildner
Librarian
Holy Apostles School
New Berlin, WI
kristine0001@wi.rr.com

The Selfish Giant
The Reluctant Dragon
The Library Dragon
The Snow Princess

I highly recommend Imagine a Day and Imagine a Night  by Rob Gonsalves.  This
sounds like a great activity!

        A beautiful new book:

The boy who painted dragons /

by Demi.

Dragon naps   Bertrand, Lynne.
        Published 1996

The library dragon     Deedy, Carmen Agra.
        Published 1994

   The knight and the dragon     De Paola, Tomie.
        Published 1980

   The princess knight     Funke, Cornelia Caroline.
        Published 2004

   The last dragon     Grant, Ben
        Published 1992

   The paper princess    Kleven, Elisa.
        Published 1994

   The secret in the dungeon     Krahn, Fernando.
        Published 1983

   Princesses are not quitters     Lum, Kate.
        Published 2003

   Harry on the rocks     Meddaugh, Susan.
        Published 2003

   A friend for Dragon : Dragon's first     Pilkey, Dav
        Published 1991

   The dragon snatcher     Robertson, M. P.
        Published 2005

   Dragon dancing     Schaefer, Carole Lexa.
        Published 2007

Clever Beatrice

One Cool Night on a Motorcycle