For those of you who like trivia and movies, please help.  I don’t know where else
to go to find the answer about two war movies.  I figure that someone here will be
able to help me.  I have very little plot details but believe that these are famous
or critically acclaimed movies from the 70's or earlier.

  Movie #1 takes place in a jungle in the Far East.  Could have been the Japanese,
Koreans, or Vietnamese we were fighting.  A handful of soldiers decide to
assassinate the leader of the enemy soldiers in order to send the enemy into a
state of confusion allowing the American soldiers enough time to run to safety.
The very ending scene shows the last two surviving American soldiers running in a
zigzag motion across an open field while being shot at.  Only one soldier survives
and makes it to safety and it's not the soldier everyone was expecting.  Name that
movie.

  Movie #2 takes place in a similar setting in a POW camp.  Several prisoners
befriend one another during this time.  One older man becomes particularly fond of
a younger soldier with hopes of introducing him to his daughter once they are back
home.  The younger soldier attempts an escape but is captured and brought back to
the prison camp and executed in front of the older father figure soldier.  Name
that movie.

  I know that this isn't much to go on but these scenes were very powerful to me
when I watched these movies as a kid and I would love to know the names of the
movies so I could watch them again and in their entirety.  I have been wondering
for years what these movies were.

  Thanks for any help in solving these mysteries of over 25 years.

  Reply to yfoshee@sbcglobal.net