Has your school had success in minimizing the negative effect on the performing
arts generated by NCLB?

  Please consider our situation:

  Some drastic changes in our school schedule were instituted to ensure we make
AYP..  Now many of our 7th/8th students (more than 1/3 in the 7th grade) in our
small district are not able to take cycle classes (art, music, computers world
languages).

  As part of the "specials", I became aware that this includes students who are
extremely gifted in art or music.  Our concern is that these students will never
have the opportunity to pursue their calling, i.e. a student who is in remedial
lang/math support does not have the opportunity to even develop a portfolio to
apply for an extremely competitive art votech program.

  We have spoken up at meetings and have brought our concerns to ed council; we
have prepared scheduling ideas that will allow some balance between math/literacy
support and cycle classes but my impression is administration is not willing do
spend the time necessary to address it.

"Only the educated are free." - Epictetus - Greek-born, Roman slave/philosopher (55
AD - 135 AD)

  Kristina Politis Fallon, LMS
  Robert Morris School
  South Bound Brook NJ