Group,
This is not much of a hit as I received no solid advice.  Most wanted me to be
certain to post a hit because they too were involved in their local history day
competitions.  One LM_NETTER suggested we write a professional article or letter to
NHD so that others become more aware of this issue.  Any takers???

For myself, I  will be noting the © issue on judging forms, but not disqualify
anyone for it.  That seems to be the fairest thing to do for students who often
work many many hours on their entry.  But I still believe with the addition of the
website category, NHD can no longer ignore or gloss over the issue in their rules
or judging criteria.

Linda
===============================
Mrs. Linda Slacum, Librarian
Cherry Hill Middle School
2535 Singerly Road
Elkton, MD  21921
lslacum@ccps.org
http://www.ccps.org/chms/index.html

Group,
I will be judging the regional competition for History Day in my district.  New
this year is a website category.  I am concerned about student use of copyrighted
images and music in their website entries.  I reviewed the National History Day
judging criteria and visited their website (www.nhd.org) and found © compliance was
very vague.  Below are the only two parts I can find to address this issue.

Interpretation
"The intellectual aspects of the production, such as the actual composition of text
and the web site design, must be the students' own work."

Size Requirements
" . . . Brief citations crediting the sources of illustrations of quotations
included on the web site do not count toward the 1,200 word limit.  Full citations
should be included in your annotated bibliography."

I get the feeling that the National History Day Organization is not going to
enforce (or ignoring) © compliance and I will be the witch (substitute b) for even
questioning it. Use of © materials in PowerPoint presentations could be viewed as
student projects with "classroom" exposure and permissible however, when websites
are posted....there is now a worldwide audience. Your advice and insight is
appreciated.

Linda