Thank you to everyone who sent information on comparing poetry to
non-fiction text.  This listserv has been my saving grace on many
occasions.  Here's the Hit I promised:

Song of the Water Boatman or Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the
Meadow by Joyce Sidman would both be great choices.  They contain poetry
followed by nonfiction text about the subject of the poems.

Mojave by Diane Siebert pair with NF book on deserts.
Extra Innings : Baseball Poems by Lee Bennet Hopkins Toasting
Marshmallows : Camping Poems by Kristine O'Connell George - NF books
about the out of doors In the Swim by Douglas Florian - NF books about
fish Hummingbird Nest by Kristine O'Connell George - NF book about a
hummingbird Good Dog by Maya Gottfried - NF dog book

Try the 3 Danitra Brown poetry books by Nikki Grimes.  They are super
and have lots of topics you could match up with nonfiction.

I will hunt tomorrow. One of our county's librarians gave us a lesson,
but I don't remember what grade - bats in NF books and the Bat-Poet by
Jarrel (I don't know that book). If I find it, I'll send it.
I was just looking at some books by Kristine O'Connell George - they
would work. She's got the hummingbird one, the dog books, the camping
poems, the one with Old Elm in the title (trees). They are really nice
books. And of course kids love those Florian books of funny poetry - you
could talk about tone..

Paul Revere's Ride by Longfellow and the new book about Paul Revere and
his part in the ride.  Cannot remember the name, but it is new within
last 18 months.

How about...Song of the Water Boatman by Joyce Sidman?

A collection of poems that provide a look at some of the animals,
insects, and plants that are found in ponds, with accompanying
information about each.  As I recall the factual information is on each
page facing the poem.

Joyce Sidman's books, The Song of the Water Boatman and Other Pond Poems
and Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets, contain both poems and related
expository text.

J. Patrick Lewis has wonderful poetry books based on geography (A World
of Wonders), monuments (Monumental Verse) and science (Scien-Trickery).
You could probably find a non-fiction book to go along with any of his
poems.

An example is his poem "Aurora Borealis"

When sunlight dances
Down the sky
To take the evening air,

We sit and watch
As clouds go by
In colored thunderwear!

Alaska has
A ringside seat
For taking in the sights,

All lemon-yellows,
Greens and reds,
No cloudy grays or whites,

As Mother Nature
Now presents--
"The Dancing Northern Lights!"

How about a nature theme and pick a poem from this:
Title:  Song of the water boatman & other pond poems /